Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Rustoleum Paint Job!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninefooter
Aren't you the guy that spray painted the interior of your car from brown to black and had overspray everywhere and it looked like crap? Spray painted your seats and ended up having to put new ones in anyway? Do yourself a favor and steer clear of spray cans As your friend (or not).. trust me.. put down the spray can and step away from the vehicle. Help me help you.

OR the other options keep spray painting everything and just become amazing at it.
I think you guys misunderstood. This isn't spraypaint. This is rustoleum out of a bucket that you roll on with microfiber rolls.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
This is a good way to ruin the resale value of your car. No scratch in the world is going to lower that like a rustoleum paint job will.
Man, I have a salvage title. The value of my car is PRETTY low.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Two words: vinyl wrap.
I've looked into it for quite a while and have tried a few samples while being convinced it was not as easy as it looked. Vinyl wrap is cheap...compared to your $2000 top of the line paint job.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
Dude, really. I DID rattle can my mirrors and my SHR louvers, but please don't try anything bigger...not if you value your car anyway.

If you want to play with a $3k daily, I'd understand. If you care about your car though, you won't do this. I skimmed through the videos. Those finishes look good on older cars, but on yours, you'd regret it. I bet in person you can see the errors and problems with the finish much better. Guarantee those are 5 foot paint jobs at best.
Lol, all you guys have the top of the line Mustangs. This IS my daily and it's worth only about 7k. Salvage
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Had a '63 F100 4x4 that the previous owner did that to. Lots of orange peel/roller dimples and brush marks because he got tired of trying to sand and polish them out. Also....that was a real thick paint job. I would hate to try to remove it for any reason. It was a tough paint job.....took many cactus and tree limb scratches while off roading and never left any scratches that didn't wax out. And it was John Deere green.......

I would never do one myself.....the truck was a cheap deal.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
I think you guys misunderstood. This isn't spraypaint. This is rustoleum out of a bucket that you roll on with microfiber rolls.
You roll paint on your HOUSE, not your CAR.

It's not a matter of some of us having newer and fancier cars, it's a matter of you asking for our opinion and getting it.

If it were me and I was looking to go a cheaper route on an older daily driver, I would pony up about 200 bucks for a Maaco job. Not the highest quality out there, but at least they will use actual automotive paint.

We are trying to save you from yourself.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Stuart, this is your car man. You shouldn't take a bucket of paint and a roller to it.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Mine is my daily...

And yeah, mine looks like poo up close. I have 2 front quarter-panel sections of dents from the kids in some parking lot getting out of the soccer-mom mini-van slamming into it multiple times, a crinkled front bumper from a 2mph fender bender(my fault), and enough pock-marks in my hood and sides, and even the roof for the paint that it's re-donkulous(stones and rocks kicked up from other cars/trucks). I just used touch-up paint to give it a 10ft "ooo-aaah", and keep it from rusting, after that it's poop-central.

I'd just hit up the youtube vids where they show how-tos for automotive painting. The effective tools from harbor freight aren't that bad to price out. Maybe even search and ask a few questions in the classic section, many of those guys have had to become paint and body experts from necessity, still more were before-hand.

If you think it's too good to be true, guess what, it likely is. I can't see this being an exception. Thoust did not learn this with the rattle-cans and the seats?

I'd still advocate doing it yourself, just not with some "miracle" method. Just takes a lot of research, and some effective money spent. Just like anything else, if you want it done right (so long as you are willing/able to learn how), do it yourself.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-23-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
Lol, all you guys have the top of the line Mustangs. This IS my daily and it's worth only about 7k. Salvage
Hey, I have had way worse cars than yours by far and never once thought about painting it myself.
And no, I don't have a top of the line car. It's 8 years old and new to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

You can get a high end looking paint job from rustoleum but the trade off is that it will take a lot of work on your part.

Ive read over the same method of painting in the past and from what I understand is that it can be wet sanded unlike aerosol paints (some dont wet sand well) which means you roll it on and spending a ton of time making it look good. If your car is in rough shape and you are already considering painting it then it might be worth trying. That is, unless you value your free time.

Quick Reply: Rustoleum Paint Job!?