Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302S

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Why cant you register it? It has headlights, taillights, brakelights, turnsignals, wipers, mufflers, windshield, and a horn could easily be added making it street legal. It could be registered as a homebuilt vehicle using the serial number or even an owner applied number as a VIN.

VIN=Vehicle Identification number
So any numbers attached to the vehicle chassis could be used to ID it, making it a VIN, just like a homebuilt trailer.
I would guess it has something to do with emissions. I dont know the specs on the car but Im guessing it has LT, no cats, no EGR, none of that clean air crap that are required.

Matthew
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

It probably could be registered as a kit car...maybe? that would eliminate a lot of the new car requirements. So, all one of has to do is hit the powerball and then have a really great 1st World Problem: How do I register my race car for the street...lol....I wish I had these types of problems!! Yea, that would be something cruising it around on a Fri or Sat and doing some street racing!! I would install a NOS bottle right next to the fire suppression system and it's good times!!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Sweet mother of god! I wish I could buy that thing, would trailer that baby to the track and local shows....
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SterlingGTVert
Being a stripped down factory racer it may not have proper emissions equipment and/or safety equipment(air bags, lighting etc.) to be legal for street use. But as you said you can add them but wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to take a street BOSS and strip/mod it to resemble this track car?
Due to the fact it would be registered as a homebuilt/kit car and not a regular production model it would be exempt from alot of the emissions/safety requirements. Just like the lotus was exempt from airbag requirements before they lost that exemption.

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I would guess it has something to do with emissions. I dont know the specs on the car but Im guessing it has LT, no cats, no EGR, none of that clean air crap that are required.

Matthew
just like a lot of the v8 cars on here run around with.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Here are some other "race cars" that are street legal
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...al_sprint_car/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-without-issue

And if these can be made street legal than Im sure a mustang can be.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

I guess FORD is not a crazy as I thought.. they still offer a BOSS 302!

That's cool if you are a racer I guess.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Due to the fact it would be registered as a homebuilt/kit car and not a regular production model it would be exempt from alot of the emissions/safety requirements. Just like the lotus was exempt from airbag requirements before they lost that exemption.

just like a lot of the v8 cars on here run around with.
Well in Cali the smog is really strict. Here you get caught with LT's, no cats, EGR delete they will make your life hell trying to get tags if the car came OEM with them. Even kit cars get have very strick requirments and IIRC the state only gives a few hundered kit car "tags" a year. They test the smog on the kit cars and compair them with similar cars and you have to get them smogged every year.

Matthew
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Wanna blow your load - the interior of the one at Milham in Easton, PA. The Dealerships owner races it on weekends. It is his personal car.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Not a date night car.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

How is it a fact that it would register as a kit car? Isn't this being sold as an off-road/race car only?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302S