Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

GM going bankrupt

Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Fastback Guy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GM going bankrupt

I'm with you babygurl, for the first time in a LONG time or possibly EVER, more and more people are watching their budget when it comes to how much they are paying for gas.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
fso119
2nd Gear Member

Hunter9s said it all. BUY AMERICAN. Its just that simple.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Do you guys think forign cars are going to kill domestic brands?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: fso119

Hunter9s said it all. BUY AMERICAN. Its just that simple.
What's american anymore? Some of the domestic stuff is made overseas now..even on the Mustang (interior components) I know because I work with plastics companies here in the U.S. that make just about any/all of the Domestic plastic components and half are going to CHINA. Delph just filed Chapter 11 and they one of GM's Largest OEM suppliers of plastic components. Some of their reorg has them sending stuff to china to lower overhead....
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: geetee03

Do you guys think forign cars are going to kill domestic brands?
Nope, just bring them to their knees and Buy the domestic dealers. Look at Chrysler. Toyota is watching GM very closely right now.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

thier not killing them GM,ford are doing it to thier self.....they have no innovations like toyota....thier hybrid stuff is whoop'in everyone's ***..gm has too many divisions...funny thing is alot of american workers are cheaper than japan now....most of toyota's engines are built in WV....I have been ti=o the plant and know people who work thier.....thier is pride at the plant.....gm ,ford are just top heavy greed.....
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
cobracharmer

Ford will be the last to go bankrupt, considering they have $26BIL in cash, much more than the others. And the product assult that is debuting soon, will definitly bring it up to par. Dont hold your breath.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 PM
98gt0311
1st Gear Member

Anyone ever heard of lean manufacturing. It's what Toyota is a master of. The funniest and most ironic part of it all is, it was started by Mr. Henry Ford. In Japan there is no such thing as a union. They take pride and responsibility in what they do. The biggest problem with American manufacturers is the workers. Not the grunt on the line, but management. They just don't understand how to be effecient.

Effeciency is the key. Figure out how to make the most with less and you can master the car market. GM has so many redundant divisions it's sick. Why try and sell the same car with a different name and price tag? Ford figured this out w/ the Capri and Mustang. The last time I read, somewhere around 10-15% of the car cost goes to pensions alone. WTF!?

Toyota is poised and ready to pounce. When Ford is bought out, I'm moving to Russia.

Long Live Neal Peart!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:06 PM
90 IROC

ORIGINAL: Caddstang

The United Auto Workers is sucking GM dry! then again if GM didn't slack off the previous decade they wouldn't be in a situation where they can't afford to pay their workers benefit's. IMO our Government is too easy on foreign auto makers...its a double standard, Japan is so protective over their auto industry that its so hard for America to sell cars in their country yet here anyone from any damn country can just come in a sell what ever the hell they want without domestic protection. I guess I'm being blunt, ill get in more detail later...
The Japanese auto market is about 1/40th the size of the US market. The reason the US auto industry isn't in Japan is it isn't worth the overhead to make the sales.

Protective? Check out what the US Gov does to the price of a BMW or MB. It leaves Germany at $26k for a 528i and gets here at $45k hello can you spell import taxes? Thats an expensive boat ride.

The gov doesn't want to stop imports -- not when they can get so much in the way of taxes outta them. It would be bad for business and what is bad for business is bad for America

Many of the new Ford midsized products are based on the Mazda6. Fusion, Zephyr and more on the way. Designed in Hiroshima brought to you by Ford