Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

I went for an Extended Test Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
leftymack

Default I went for an Extended Test Drive...

I wrote about my desire for a 2018 Mustang, in the New Member Area- short version: I'm 55 y/o / Never had a 'fast car' in my life / paid off my house / no kids / My current rides are a 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200, a 2004 Nissan Truck, a 2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon- that I love / I'm obsessed with the 2018 Mustang GT.

I have never test drove a Mustang, so I decided to rent a 2018 and spend a day with it and see if I loved it or not.

I went to Hertz at the San Jose (California) Airport and picked up the Mustang GT that I reserved. FYI- That location has a LOT of REALLY nice rentals. They have the "Luxury and the Adrenaline" series of cars. You can get AMG's the nicer Lexus's, M-Series Beemers, etc.

I got my car- after dealing with some seriously rude people. The lady at the counter was VERY nice and gave me a voucher for my next rental!!!

I get in it and start playing with the paddle shifters, and I could not get past 6th gear That's when I realized that they gave me a 2017, not the 2018 that I requested.

Oh well. I enjoyed it. I went home and loaded up the Wife and Granddaughter and headed to Carmel. My Wife installed the car seat, and that was a headache- I tried and she told me to "Get out of the way". There is NO room for a normal sized person in the rear seats. I could not act like too much of a hooligan, because of my passengers. I did wring it out in every gear every time I merged onto the freeway. I was at 110 in no time. The sound that it makes is awesome!!!

My Granddaughter gets car-sick in the twisties, so I chose to take Hwy101 South to 129 to Hwy 1.This car is fun, It is fun, but the visibility is limited- not nearly as bad as the Camero. The ride is semi-stiff, but not too unbearable. I talked to my Wife about the Magni-Ride option in the 2018, and she said that "it would be nice, but if you want to save the $$, she does not mind this suspension".

The car they gave me was nice, but it was White- I really like this car in the darker colors. If I order, it will be all Black. As the day went on- the color and looks of the car REALLY grew on me. They are very attractive to me.

I returned home via San Jose/Soquel Rd, and that was a great place to try out this car. I could not fly through the corners- because of my Granddaughter, but the little that I did, showed me that the car felt planted and had very little body roll. On the rough sections of that road, I hear a rattle coming from the right rear portion of the car. I placed a bag with some Gaterades in the trunk, after a few turns; they began to roll around . You could hear them as though they were right next to you. Very little sound dampening (from the trunk).

With the car-seat in the car, and a couple of bags- quickly fill up any storage. Anything extra must go into the trunk. (I like being able to have a bag with; jacket, water/snacks, within reach- for the Wife and Grasnddaughter , but you are very limited in that backseat. It's really a car for two.

I did enjoy the power of the brakes. I had a crazy lady-that I was following, on San Jose/Soquel Road, she pulled over to the right, and immediately made a u-turn in front of me!! She stopped sideways in the middle of the road!! I was covering the brake and stopped w/o any problem.

I had to return the car this morning, so I took it out (alone) last night, before parking it in my garage. I decided to drive it around the industrial area near my home. I put the car in 'track' mode and gun it around a couple of corners- what fun. I got the rear end to drift a couple of feet before regaining it's composure. What fun.

After my experience- I am just as excited about it, but I am not feeling the URGENCY to go and buy one. It's like when you are craving chocolate cake, so you go and buy an entire cake- then you realize that you are satiated after having 1 piece.

D

Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM
leftymack

Don't get me wrong-- I really one one still- I'm just not swathing Youtube Reviews 24/7, like I was last week. I will sink more $$ into my house before I buy it. I may wait until the end of this year.- can I still 'special order' a 2018 in November?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Bob_T442

Default Ordering a 2018 in November...

... probably won't work given past experience. I special ordered my 2012 on May 31, 2011 and it arrived at the the dealer 5-1/2 weeks later. The order window on the 2018s will most likely not extend past July if even that long. To verify order window length, I'd suggest a visit or call to a Ford store of your choosing to get the inside scoop.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:16 AM
leftymack

I could not wait. I went into the dealership and got myself a 2018 GT Premium w/ 400A and PP1`. 10 speed in Magnetic Metallic.