Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford Vehicles - Methanol Compatable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Ford Vehicles - Methanol Compatable?

Is it true by next year ford will be making cars that can run off methanol as well as regular gasoline? i swear i heard this on a ford commercial but i cant remember for sure......it was like bill ford sitting there talking about it and stuff like that....

anyone know? that would be awesome...no dependency on the middle east and american farmers get something to work for instead of just being outdone by big farms and bought out...(methanol from veggies like corn and what not...)

what are the differences in performance and horsepower and all that??
Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Vehicles - Methanol Compatable?

I am sure we would have heard a lot more about his if that were true... who knows when their gonna do it.
ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

Is it true by next year ford will be making cars that can run off methanol as well as regular gasoline? i swear i heard this on a ford commercial but i cant remember for sure......it was like bill ford sitting there talking about it and stuff like that....

anyone know? that would be awesome...no dependency on the middle east and american farmers get something to work for instead of just being outdone by big farms and bought out...(methanol from veggies like corn and what not...)

what are the differences in performance and horsepower and all that??
Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

actually there are a bunch of cars that can already run on methanol and i'm not talking about newer models either, for example some crown vics can run on the stuff. problem is it would burn off the state tropper's mustache when you passed them by.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

yes there are cars/truck that can run on ethanol and methanol, but i believe mostly ethanol. both are mixed 85/15 with gasoline... and i believe it has a little leaf/tree symbol on the back
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
GBPackerFan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

actually there are a bunch of cars that can already run on methanol and i'm not talking about newer models either, for example some crown vics can run on the stuff. problem is it would burn off the state tropper's mustache when you passed them by.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Burnin' mustaches...TOO funny!!! "C"
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Ford has a bunch of vehicles that already run off of E85 (85% ethanol and 15 gasoline) advantages include reduced emissions, and a much higher octane, however any alcohol will require about 1/3 more fuel to burned to make the same amount of power that regular gasoline makes. Also while the price of E85 is attractive (currently about $2.00/gal near me) it is only cheaper because of government subsidies and tax breaks, it actually takes more fossil fuel to make one gallon of E85 than it does to make one gallon of traditional gasoline. Factor all this in, and the the fact that you get worse mileage and I don't think Ethanol is the magic answer, it might help us but it won't make us independent of foreign oil. The only thing that will do that is if the liberals would let us open up the Alaskan oil fields and build more off shore rigs.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:03 PM
mustdroptop
2nd Gear Member

the spinx station near me dropped 95 oct and replaced it with methenol--said most of the newer cars could burn it -i wanted to **** on his leg
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

well now....that was a crushing blow...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea, I heard this last night on a commercial for the new Explorer. Pretty crazy.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:10 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

it is staring them in the face..use corn liquar

Quick Reply: Ford Vehicles - Methanol Compatable?