Mustang Videos This forum is for video's pertaining to Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, Mustangs, and Off Topic.

Video idea? Judging interest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Whiteghoztt

Default Video idea? Judging interest.

First off, I would like to say Hello to everyone here at Mustang forums. This is a great site you have here, very informative and easy to navigate.
As you can see I'm new here and in fact I'm not totally sure if this is where I should be posting this, but I'm sure the mods here would be friendly enough to move it elsewhere should it be needed.

Now then, I would like to continue to learn from the knowledgable members here in hopes that I can in turn lend any of my knowledge from Nissan or furthermore the 300ZX (90-96 US model type). I would just like to say That I've read quite a bit on this forum and have been coming here for some time to learn about different things regarding different year mustang models. In the spirit of car enthusiasm and furthering the knowledge of such related cars (later model mustangs and the previous Z car Z32 model (300zx)). Basically my reason is this, I see a lot of misinformation regarding the cobra, gt, 5.0 vs the 300zx model and it's potential under modification or stock on this and other forums. I know a lot of people that would like to see this happen. I want to video a couple different races and I'm sure we'll be able to do this. Anyone can come and join in on the fun and really setting this up. Races as follows with runs from a stop and from a 40~50mph roll.
'03-'04 Cobra (Stock) vs 300zx TT (Stock) - (yes I know, the z will get raped, but I want to see by how much )
'03-'04 Cobra (Stock) vs 300zx TT (Basic bolt-on)
'02-'03ish GT (Stock) vs 300zx TT (Stock)
'02-'03ish GT (Basic Bolt-on) vs. 300zx TT (Stock)
'90-'91 5.0 (Stock) vs 300zx TT (Stock)
'90-'91 5.0 (Stock) vs 300zx NA (Stock)
Yeah I know the cobras are wanted stock is "lame", but I really want to see how they match up.
A lot of people on both car forums would like to see this for the sake of really "knowing" where they stand with eachother. I don't care who wins or loses, I just want to see and know so that we have a real "I've seen this, they do this vs that" type of deal. Just a small knowledge booster so to speak. Anyone willing to help? I can offer my car for the basic bolt-on ttz, I have "cai", exhaust, and upped boost a couple lbs. other then that basically stock, I still have stock shocks
Location for these runs would be in the MD/DC/VA area.
I'm not asking to get flamed for my ideas, but frankly, it's something I would like to tryout. I see a lot of tense arguements regarding the 2 and frankly I think it can be resolved easily and in a fun way. No winners or losers, just want to clear things up and some good clean fun!

Anyone else interested in seeing these results?

Thanks for reading my crazy post,
Peace,
J.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
domesticfan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Video idea? Judging interest.

im by no means an advocate of magazine racing, but i think we could predict the results pretty easily. just look at 1/4 mile times and trap speed.

a bolt on z (or any turbo car) is a big if. u never know what kind of boost they are running, and that could be considered more then bolt ons.

im not sure exactly what 300zxtt's run stock, mid 13's maybe? if so a cobra will win, even if the z has "basic boltons." not sure about the bolt on gt though? and the people who still have stock 5.0Ls prob dont exactly race alot.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Whiteghoztt

Default RE: Video idea? Judging interest.

Yeah, my car would be considered a "typical" bolt-on car. Just cai, turbo back exhaust, runing a few more lbs of boost. So not much special about my car, but I know it should be a good fight vs a stock '03-'04 cobra given that I've laid down 376rwhp and 394 rwtq in 96 degree weather @ 15lbs, and I'm still running stock fuel, stock ic's, and stock turbos. The avg boost of bolt-on Z's runs around 13.5-15lbs so I would be your avg "BPU" or basic performance upgrades car. Most 300zxTT's run high 13's to a 14 flat on avg, better drivers will hit mid 13's pretty consistantly. My car used to be an auto and in bone stock form I ran 13.83 @102, so given that the 5-spds tend to knock a couple tenths off of that. The 300zx Na versions (2 seaters) run typicall low 15's with the occasional great driver hitting high 14's so seemingly in stock 5.0ish area? A good race nonetheless.
By "typical" bolt-on pretty much the basic stuff, intake, exhaust, pulley, etc...
Really it's just searching for personal knowledge of these runs that pushes me to be asking this. I see to many if's and bs flags from both sides to really be 100% sure. Normally I can judge for myself very well on how the race will turn out. But everyone has different opinions and frankly I would like to just put up some video so people can see the roughly "normal" outcome of such a race. Figured it peaked my interest as well as many others so... perhaps you guys can lend some input on your thoughts regarding such races or cars in the future. Just a fun idea.

J.