New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the Mustang "scene".. help is appreciated..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 PM
JayKoz

Default New to the Mustang "scene".. help is appreciated..

Hey guys, I'm 18 years old and currently driving a hand me down car, although not bad, not something I want to keep driving. I've got about 6-7 grand to spend, depending how summer goes it could easily be more. I'm looking to get a Mustang, as I've loved them forever, but here's a little problem..

I live in the Northeast. Gotta deal with rain, SNOW, and all that crap in life. Is this something I should be concerned about? I've got a sister that is taking my current car off my hands, and I'm looking to get another. Should I be looking elsewhere and wait till I truly have the money to posess 2 cars, or can a Mustang handle it?

Sorry that I'm a newbie, I've searched for answers but haven't found any. Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to the Mustang "scene".. help is appreciated..

Well, hey there, and welcome. I live in the NE (NH) too, so I know just what you're talking about.

Don't let the area bother you as far as getting a Stang. If it bothers you that much, keep your beater car for the winter. If you've already promised it to your sister, then just get another beater this fall. I just got my 93 Stang last Dec., and I got lucky in that it had never been driven in the winter. I just barely got it out on the road a couple weeks ago, and boy, has it been worth the wait. Ah, but enough about me.

You say you got about 6-7 grand to spend? Are you going for a newer one? Or something in the 80's/early 90's Or maybe a classic like a 68? I know of a couple 80's GT style Mustang for sale in Raymond. One's kind of a beater, but the other looked nice from the road. Don't know prices, just know where they are.

So where exactly are you. And don't forget there a NorthEast section to post in as well.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:18 PM
JayKoz

I'm from Connecticut, towards the shore in Groton.. this is where I am during the school time, but during the summer I'm dead center CT, about 15 miles from Hartford.

I'd love to get a beat up car for the winter, I just don't have the money for that. I've seen a few 94-96 Mustangs that are fairly cheap around the 6 grand region, that for some reason catch my taste. I know that some people don't like them for whatever reason, but they just catch my attention for some reason.

Would I be able to get away with it driving in the winter? I'm not looking to go crazy, it's not like I travel much in the winter, mostly only in the summer time. The snow doesn't get too bad around these parts during winter, but regardles I know that I'd have to be careful. Maybe throw a bag of sand or something in the back of the car, which I've heard to help things.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Maybe throw a bag of sand or something in the back of the car, which I've heard to help things.
That and a good set of snow tires, studded even if you can get them down your way. Just drive carefully when it snows, and you'll be fine. If you get an auto, remember to put the tranny in neutral when you need to stop quick in slippery driving. Doing this stops the power going to the rear wheels, and they won't push the front tires along.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 PM
JayKoz

I think I'm looking to get a manual, though I currently have an automatic. From what people say, just getting a manual is much more fun and alot better with Mustangs.

I've driven manual a few times, but not enough to feel fully "comfortable" if you know what I mean. I'm sure it would come with time.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

5 speed would be better cause you can start in second and not just completely lose it while taking off on a slick road.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
2001mustang
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Hope you can get the stang that you want. I live in t he South so can not really say anything about driving a Mustang up north.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:25 PM
JayKoz

Is there anymore advice? Thanks guys..
Old 04-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Might want to pony up and look for a '98. I think that is the first year they came with traction control. I could be wrong...But I'd look for one with the T/C if you're going to drive it in the snow. It just makes life easier.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:11 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I have a '02 mustang GT and its got the factory traction control in it and it has saved me more times than I can count to be honest. Not only on slick roads but also saves me from burning out my tires. I never look at the button so I dont get to where I wanna turn it off. Go for the '99 with traction control, ??or did they put it in those models you are looking at?? Worth a look into.