New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member considering GT convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New member considering GT convertible

you know for the same price, you could find an 03-04 cobra, they are alot faster out of the box and look better
Old 06-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

My wife however, after seeing how slow the Mustang is, has said that she would rather just have a 2004 C5 Convertible and sacrifice everybody being able to travel together instead of the performance. What a great wife :thumbs:
Great wife, lousy mother. How fast are you gonna be driving with baby on board? Shouldn't you be considering crash ratings too?

Maybe you should just sell the baby and use the money to mod the vette some more.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:26 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

one thing great about stang gts is that mods r cheap and there are lots of items out there to customize not to mention a pretty good bang for the buck
Old 06-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Mustang Buster
1st Gear Member

While I hope you are joking, I don't appreciate you calling my wife a lousy mother or suggesting that we sell our child. I think you took that a little out of context to say the least. We would never drive fast with the baby onboard, and she said she would rather get an 04 C5 Vert because I like the performance better. The whole idea of getting a vert however, is so we could go on cruises together, which are slow speed affairs, and to car shows. Right now we have to take two cars to get those events. So we are willing to sacrifice the performance of the C5, to have the capibility to all ride together in the GT. My wife never even drives fast, and I am the only one that takes the Vette down the dragstip in the high 11's.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Just checking, Buster. I'm new here too, but I've been around message boards since the days of Wildcat servers and 1200 baud modems, and your posts reeked of flamer in fan's clothing to me. I apologize for the insults if you are sincere. When you become a Dad, you have to give up a few things. If you have to downgrade from a vette to a mustang, you are still doing pretty damn well. Don't act like you are cutting off your arm. I just upgraded to a 06 stang after many years of financial and parental sacrifice, so I was having a hard time understanding the hardship you face now. Get the Mustang, you will love it. It's not the car the vette is, but your child will love riding in it. My 9 year old daughter is thrilled to ride in my '88 vert, and she went nuts when I brought home the '06. She thinks her dad is the coolest one in the whole world. That's what's important.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Mustang Buster
1st Gear Member

Roger that Rebel. My son and wife are what is most important, and why we are looking at getting the GT. If it was still just the two of us, I wouldn't have a need to replace the Vette. Wasn't trying to say the GT was bad, in fact I was very impressed how good it was, the build quality seemed as good if not better than the C5, and the interior IMHO was better than the C5. I was a little disappointed in the acceleration, but that is because of what I am used to, and the GT would be used for fun with the family, not the track. Glad you like yours, and we are leaning more and more towards ordering one ourselves. Gotta sell the Vette first, as trade-in value was, as expected, well below retail value.

Thanks to everyone else for their input as well. While I am sure the 04 Cobra's are faster, I really like the retro style of the 2005+ Mustangs. When and if I get the GT, I think I will be sticking to basic bolt on mods, and I went overboard on the Vette, with the Heads/cam package, and for what to go from the 12's to the 11's, like that really matters in the real world.

Buster

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

Just checking, Buster. I'm new here too, but I've been around message boards since the days of Wildcat servers and 1200 baud modems, and your posts reeked of flamer in fan's clothing to me. I apologize for the insults if you are sincere. When you become a Dad, you have to give up a few things. If you have to downgrade from a vette to a mustang, you are still doing pretty damn well. Don't act like you are cutting off your arm. I just upgraded to a 06 stang after many years of financial and parental sacrifice, so I was having a hard time understanding the hardship you face now. Get the Mustang, you will love it. It's not the car the vette is, but your child will love riding in it. My 9 year old daughter is thrilled to ride in my '88 vert, and she went nuts when I brought home the '06. She thinks her dad is the coolest one in the whole world. That's what's important.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

And if it makes you feel any better, Buster, when you're a dad, your car doesn't have to be the fastest at the dragstrip, it just has to be the fastest and coolest at the school where you drop Buster Jr off or pick him up.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang Buster

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

You ever consider a Saleen convertible? Or is that out because It is a bit pricey for a "family" car.
Other than having heard of them, I don't know much about them. How much do they typically run, what kind of hp/tq do they make, does Ford still cover the warranty?
Most everything you could want to know is right here.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangsp.../2006_info.htm

Don't expect for the price to be that high though. At most Ford Dealerships, all 06 Mustangs must go!.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Mustang Buster
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the Saleen, but a little bit more than I am wanting to spend.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang Buster

Thanks for the info on the Saleen, but a little bit more than I am wanting to spend.
Completely understandable. I personally think those are overpriced to begin with. Looks like you are just going to have to slap a S/C on a GT vert or go back with another Vette. Either way, your family is going to be happy.

My dad got rid of his Torino when I was born for the same reason you are wanting to switch. The Torino was hell to get a baby seat in and out. I could understand the move back then, but now I just want to strangle him[8D] All the time I tell him "What were you thinking! stick me in the trunk!"

Edit: Slap a S/C on a 05+ Stang if thats the style you are lookin for. If not, you can get a Cobra like Mustangman suggested. You can pick one up fairly cheap these days.

Quick Reply: New member considering GT convertible