New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Pony, Old Fart

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 PM
KCPony

Default New Pony, Old Fart

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=red size=2>Greetings Mustang Lovers,</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>Came across this forum while surfing all sites mustang related. My name is Tom, I am 50 years old, and yes, believe it or not, this old fart bought a brand new mustang a month ago.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>I could never afford one when I was in my 20's. A wild hair possessed me to by one, but I figured I would get rid of it in a year or two. Well, after driving it a month now.......<FONT color=blue> </FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2><FONT color=blue>I have to succumb to the fact that I have become a mustang maniac!</FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=red size=2>I love this car! Although my family and friends are taking their cheap shots at me that I must me going through a mid-life crisis. They are not helping me with the payments, so their opinions don't count.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>About my stang......it is a 2003 Fire Red Metallic GT, 4.6L, Gray leather seats, AOD, Chrome mags with the smoked chrome spokes. I have added some interior trim, Flow Master Series 60 mufflers, and had windows tinted darker than factory. The Flow Masters are my favorite additions so far, sounds like a pit bull mashing his teeth!</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>While I am more interested in investing in cosmetic additions, wouldn't mind sinking a little money in performance. Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive mods I can do on engine/drivetrain/etc.with a ceiling max of no more than a thousand dollars.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>Thanks,</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2></FONT></P><edited><editID>KCPony</editID><editDate>37778.8261574074</editDate></edited>
Old 06-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

Hey your never too old.As for mods pick up a summit racing or jegs catalog, I am sure you will find an easy way to blow a grand.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:56 PM
KCPony

Thanks Sean, old is a semantic acronym, so screw the ones who cling on age with appropiate conduct. I went to the jegs website and knew I was at the right place when I saw that Bumblee Stang on tbe front page. The dudes who put on the Flow Masters on my mustang have taken a sympathic quest on my desire to explore my need for speed.</P>

Next week they are installing a high performance cold air induction system with a trumped up throttle body. This was all greek to me but I am putting my faith in knowing what they are doing. Second opinoions never hurt, don't want to be scammed, does this sound legit?</P>

thanks again</P>

</P>
Old 06-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

Should go well with your exhaust.What kind of throttle body and cold air?
Old 06-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

One more thing make sure they do not over charge you,as these parts are not at all difficult to install.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:36 AM
KCPony

Sean, thanks again for your expertise. I paid them 320 dollars to replace the stock mufflers with the Flow Master mufflers. He recommended I keep the stock mufflers in case I decide to sell the car and make it original factory again.</P>

I do not even change my own oil so any shop work I hire is beyond my qualification. He explained that if I want to upgrade the throttle body I would have to upgrade the induction system. This guy also owns a mustang and sort of chastised me for buyin an automatic instead of a stick. that's okay, I lost interest in shifting in my 30's, I will concede that this guy gave me some cheap tips to increase my horsepower by simply disabling my "snorkel" as he explained, on my factory air induction system.</P>

KCPony means I live in Kansas City, and I would like to take the horse up to Iowa where the new MAM road course is. I have no desire to break any terrain records, but just want to open itup a little, I am getting bored with punching it on the highway entrance ramps, which is the only safe place from getting a ticket.</P>

He explained that he could order the induction system and throttle body from Ford Racing, by doing that, would preserve my warranty since it is a 2003. According to him, these modifications would not violate the warranty.</P>

When I had the Flow Masters installed, I was concerned about the warranty and he said that it only voids the warranty from the "catback" on back. I lost him there on that but I assumed it meant from the engine portals and all hardware moving back. I can live with that. </P>

so what do you think?</P>

</P>
Old 06-07-2003, 12:16 PM
stanglover
2nd Gear Member

Cat back just means from the catalytic converter on back. l think you paid too much for installation. Most shops in my neighborhood ask $50-$75 per muffler. And you won't void the warranty by modifying it unless the aftermarket component causes the car to fail. Get some nitrous, tires and air intake stuff. Have fun!!
Old 06-07-2003, 09:00 PM
KCPony

thanks stanglover, I talked to some friends at work and they thought that was a decent price. that $320 includes cost of the Flowmasters, installation,and taxes. Plus they even taxi'd me to work while they did install. I guess I should do some shopping around before they put in the cold air ind. system and throttle body. I need to surf web to find out what the hell these even do and what hp increase it will give me......thanks again</P>

</P>
Old 06-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Snake
1st Gear Member

Hey KC. When I was in my senior year of high school I picked up an issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. I had no idea what any of the parts were in the magazine, or what they were referring to in the articles. After reading a few though I became more familiar with what parts did what, and their names... It's a good magazine with a LOT of information.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:30 AM
MustangGTRocks
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I learned a lot from it also...

Quick Reply: New Pony, Old Fart