New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to GT, Hey everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Bu11itt99

Default New to GT, Hey everyone!

Hey there, I am Rick. I am a 91 Delta for the United States Army Reserve Surgical Tech 309th Combat Support Hospital and I am in sort of a dilemma. I am going in for training, leaving in 2 weeks to go to basic training for 9 weeks, then AIT for 10, and finally Walter Reed Hospital in DC for another 10... I will be home mid January with about $5000 unspent cash. I need a car for starters but live in Maine so the choices are limited. Being 19 means I need to look out for alot of factors. I am having trouble with what I should pick up...

I have thought of ( please forgive me for saying this ) picking up a 1998+ Acura Integra GSR... something quick, light, fun to drive and is friendly on gas and insurance... I can drive it all year as well. HOWEVER I have come to the conclusion that if I plan on spending $10-12,000 on a car using about $3500-4000 down then I could have a 1999 GT in my sights. I have driven many of them, a 1996 GT 5spd, 2003 GT 5spd, another 2003 GT 5spd and I believe a 2001 GT 5spd... I have never driven an auto. I like them, they sound great even stock and they have decent punch to back it up, Car and Driver States that a 99-03 GT runs 0-60 in 5.5 and 14.2 1/4 mile... are these acurate? Anyways, I would be looking into a 1999 probobly, I want to spend no more the $12,000 so I am probobly looking at a hard top over a convertible, though the vert is slower I thought it would be nicer in summer months and because I am not planning on modding the hell out of it.

If I were to pick up one I would DEFinately need to do something about the 1999 stock rims... I would pick up some saleen chrome stock rims 18's I believe they are, a new hood ( I like the double scoop, dont know the name exactly ) tint windows, some miscelanious things like 4.6 badges on the side etc, for engine I would want to do intake and exhaust system though I have no picked out one yet, and headers maybe, and thought about port and polished heads, all this to make the car breathe better... but those are all the engine mods I have planned, maybe some other things if I get to them, like gears, some other little stuff.

Here comes the nitty gritty. I need to think of alot of things here, I am going with a GT vs. z28 or Cobra because of insurance issues, I am hoping it will be friendly, not to too bad, I can live with something in the $250 per month range, not into the $300+++ but I can live with $250 per month or so, the car will be on a loan so it needs full coverage. I DO live in maine and that is another factor, I would run it in the winter as bad as it sounds, I just know my place when TO and when NOT to drive it... what do you winter v8 RWDers think? I have no problem going easy and taking it easy to accomidate for the conditions, I just dont see a need to have a junker, more costs etc etc, and I hear traction controll helps alot, or some... gas is not a huge issue with me, there not to too bad so it isnt a prob and with saleen chrome I would use those in summer and use the crap stock ones in the winter... I don't plan on going out in blizzards so it shouldnt be that bad but let me know your thoughts... I will be sure to take care of it in winter as well, get rid of salt, etc etc. The bottom line is, I would love to have one of these, I like the car and the decent power to back it up VS. a cheapo wimpy 4 banger, BUT I need some thoughts on this situation and what rout to take, I am eager to get into one. Is it going to be tough finding a 1999 style GT for $12,000 or less with under 70k on it? what tranny should I get, any advice? can I find a convert. fairly easy for that price range? I will have about a thousand left over to mod it, and the rest will come with time, but I need to think ahead so let me know all your thoughts, I appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:37 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New to GT, Hey everyone!

Wow thats about the longest entrance I've read lol Nice to have you here 99...... That was alot of questions lol

Your age insurance is going to be high with any v8.. not sure what its like in Maine for rates and all.... Good luck with all your trainging.... the car and driver specs are pretty accurate.......

But gain nice to have you here....

Mello
Old 06-05-2004, 04:00 PM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Rick, I am also going into the military(Air Force ROTC, forgive me im a pilot). I just bought a 99 GT for $10800 with 57000 miles on it. Im down in Rhode Island, so its still the northeast. Anyway it is possible to find them with what your looking for. Insurance is a little rough for our age, about 3-4 grand a year. But thats full coverage. look on autotrader.com thats where I found my baby. Good luck with the Army.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6589/Ig112597638.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-06-2004, 11:25 AM
brockstang
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums bud. I think 99-01 had less hp then 02-04. I know they have the t-5 tranny as apposed to the tremec 3650 so there might be a hp transfer change there. The specs were pretty accurate though. I love my ride and I hope that you find one that you love just as much.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
ShadowG03
1st Gear Member

No kidding Mello that was long as hell... but anyway. The 99+ all were rated at 260 hp, definetely go with 99+. I'm originally from Michigan but now I'm in SC and go up for vacation in winter usually, you should be ok in the snow make sure you've got a bag of sand, ash or salt in the trunk but if I was you I'd get a set of snow tires or at least all season tires for winter or you'll get stuck everywhere (I got stuck in a parking lot in about 1-3 inches of slush, I got out but spun like crazy), road driving isn't bad with my 03 GT trac control definetely helps. As far as insurance CALL NATIONWIDE by far the best for young drivers I swear by them never ever had a problem, I had a hit and run with my old car... no questions asked just sent me a check BTW no deductable for hit and run in Michigan.
BTW an Ac GSR would be pretty high for insurance mostly because of the F&F kids acting like *** clowns thinking they've got race cars. Get a coupe or you'll be running the hell out of your heater in the winter. Well hopefully you get the stang and be careful with it especially during the winter months. Air Force here but appreciate all the services, loved working with you army boys in Kandahar AF.