New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Car Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Car Search

U would stay away from a car like that (I know I might be a little late)

112,000 miles is fine if it's your car, but to buy it at that mileage? Spend a few hundred more and bring that number down. Also, it doesn't sound like they took AWESOME care of the car if she doesn't know wtf it is.

Buy from someone who knows what they're talking about and can show records of maintinance, like oil changes every 2,500-3,000 miles or so (hello, me!)
Old 08-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car Search

I had an opportunity to look at the car again. It's a 1995, V6, 3.8L engine. The tires look good, the interior is good, has a cd player in it, the body looks awesome for the age of the car. The paint is beautiful!

The driver and the mother didn't know anything about the engine so we lifted up the hood and checked it out. I have come to the conclusion they have had the car for about 2 years. The driver probably got it when she was a freshman and is now a senior in high school. The girl now wants to go to college with an SUV.

The paint is fantastic on the majority of the car except around the tail lights. I am not sure what to think about them because the two bars that go across them has a whitish cast/tint to them and doesn't blend with the rest of the vehicle. The owners bought the car already in that condition. They didn't know what caused it. I don't know what to make of the front headlights either because they look frosted. I have seen other cars made by Ford that looked that way too, maybe that's the norm for the older cars.

The 112K mileage does bother me but I am just planning to use it to drive around town. My husband said since the body of the vehicle is fantastic and interior looks good, he wouldn't have a problem with replacing the engine if needed. How many more miles can we put on it before having to put in a new engine? BTW, how much would a rebuilt engine cost? Unless it gets totaled, I am planning to keep it forever.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it needs a new top. How much does anyone think that will cost? I looked at another thread here and there was a discussion about it running about $1,000 for one that would last about 5 years? I didn't think it cost that much to replace. I may have to do some rethinking about convertibles if this is true. Here in mid GA, mold/mildew is really bad.

I will definitely ask for any service records if they have them. If I do end up with this car, I would like to take it to the Ford dealership and have them check it out.

Anyway, our family has 2 other newer vehicles for family use and out of town trips. The mustang will be my toy and I'm going to let my 16 year old daughter drive it as well WITH ME IN IT. LOL!!!

A 1995 convertible, V6 3.8 Ltr. engine, 112K miles, great interior - possible price of $3,500. Comments? Any advice is welcome.