New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1966 Mustang salvage questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:15 AM
otstang

Default 1966 Mustang salvage questions

Hi
I'm new to the neighborhood but, I have always been a Mustang gear head. In anycase I recently came across a 1966 Mustang here in California that was fully restored from some sort of "salvage" state (it has a Salvage Title). The previouse owner said "they did not know it was Salvaged or exactly what it meant". After I explained the reality of the situation the owner offered the vehicle to me for a price that was even less than the paint job done earlier this year just to try and recoupe some of there money. I drove it and feel in love I have not driven a true V8 the rest is history.

It has a sweet 289 v8 w/ a three speed automatic that sound and run pur....fect especially with the new dual exhaust system & "glass packs" . The seven month old black paint job on a scale of 1 to 10 is about a 6 to 7 exterior & interior looks awesome & straight with all the appropriate badging, new official upgraded JVC cassett/CD and would rate them about an 8+ (9 or more to me is show/trophy winning).

In short just wondering what my Stang would be worth out in the real world it has only 44k original miles? Every time I start it up I'm in Mustang Power Heaven with a smile from ear to ear.

PS. Is there any legal way to get a new non-salvage title by resubmitting it as a "collector or Antique" vehicle? Just thought I ask.

Sorry for the monolog, but ya know Its a Stang Thing.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:03 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 1966 Mustang salvage questions

Welcome, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't worry about the "salvage" title as long as the title matches up with the DMV, and you can plate/register it. The car could have been a barn find, out of a junkyard, etc. What state is the salvage title from ? You might want to check with them.

Is the original FoMoCo plate on the car ? serial #'s match the salvage title ?

2nd point......... you say you paid about the price of a paint job, How much was that ? Based on your description (I'm guessing) you should have paid $15K minimum or more. A real low price means the car might have been stolen. I've seen numerous stories where owners get their car back 30-35-40 years later, when computor match ups pull up a stolen report. So make sure you have all the documentation possible.

Can you provide more details on the purchase ? Like was it a dealer, private party, did you find it in a newspaper, sitting on the road ??
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:26 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Welcome, my dad has a 66' < I love it. I bet 1/2 of classic cars that old that have been restored have been in at least one accident. As long as it wasnt flood or fire damage I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 AM
otstang

Thanks everyone for the Welcome

All the #'s match and the title is current and Legal. As far as how much it cost, well I can only say I hope my total final restore cost included with the purchase will make it all the the better ride that it already is and fun to own. (I'm sure it will be) and maybe down the road pass it down to one of my kids (Big Maybe...) HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 AM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums!