New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to forums, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Augy

Default New to forums, looking for advice

Greetings, I am new to this forum and it looks like a great resource. I don't currently havea Mustang but am planning to buy one within the next year and am looking for some advice. I know I want a late model convertible V8. It won't be a daily driver, just a car for fun driving in good weather and I don't plan on spending more than $12k or so for it. I've been looking around awhile and I keep going back and forth between an older Cobra (like a 1997) or a newer GT (2000) for roughly the same price. Anyway, I can't decide which way to go and would like some advice on how to decide. Like I said, I have probably a year before I'll have the cash to buy what I want so there's time

Also, what magazines would you recommend for late model Mustang owners (or future owners)? Just the simple back-yard mechanic variety of stuff, I don't plan to turn the car into a drag racer.

I should mention this isn't going to be my first pony car...here is a list

1982 Hatchback 4-cylinder (my first car, came out of a wreckyard, father and I repaired it)
1981 Cobra (had the smallish V8...can't remember the c.i. but it was a bit of a dog)
1977 Cobra II (engine swapped for a 289 with 351W heads...fun car to drive)
1994 6-cylinder (wife drove this one for a few years)
1969 Fastback 2-bbl 351 V8 (last Mustang I owned...sold it when the kids started arriving)

I've also had a 1992 Camaro Z-28 and a few years ago I sold my last muscle car, a 1967 Firebird.

I admit to the two affairs with the GM cars but they didn't mean anything...I'm still a Mustang man!

Anyway, any advice on what I should look for or avoid in a late-model convertible GT or Cobra would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions for magazines that are worth subscribing to.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:24 PM
mustangcobra94
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to forums, looking for advice

welcome to the forums
Old 01-28-2007, 02:36 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

As far as mags worth looking at, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, 5.0 Mustang, and Mustang Enthusiast. Modified Mustang is also out there, but it's really for those import guys that crossed over and bought themselves a V6 to 'pimp'. Real tech articles are few and far between in that rag. Understand that you're not building a racecar, but if you're looking to soup it up at all, I'd personally try to find a low-miles '97 Cobra (they're better out of the box). Things to watch out for in 'verts... all the obvious stuff: ragged top, poor fitting top. If you're feeling adventurous, stick your head into the trunk and scope the motors... look for excessive grease and wear. When you're test-driving it, put the top up and down a couple times, make sure it's not overly slow, or binds anywhere. Also, the earlier Mods you want to make sure that you're not getting any smoke out the back end. Listen for knocks and misses, all the mechanical stuff you'd look for in any used car.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:36 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! SSFenris gave you some excellent advice.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Augy

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I've ordered a couple of the mags mentioned and will focus my research on the Cobra models. Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Stang562
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums go for the cobra
Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 AM
FoxCoupe89

welcome! definately the cobra...my dad has a 96' and it hauls!!! go for it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Augy

Sounds like a unanimous decision on the Cobra. I may be able to buy the car sooner than I had originally thought if a side job pans out and I can generate enough extra income. If so, I will be shopping this Spring!

The market where I'm at (Iowa) isn't particularly good for buying a used Cobra....there are many if any of them and prices are higher. Has anyone bought a car long distance, sight unseen, and had a good experience? Any advice on this? I know it's pretty commonplace anymore due to eBay.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Augy

Ok, don't kill me here but I bought a GT. It was one of those deals where it was too good to pass up. It's a triple black convertible 2001 GT, loaded, bullit wheels, bone-stock garage queen for a great price. I had my eyes on a '99 Cobra but it was $7k more and just too much for me. When a friend told me about the GT I had to go take a look and it was over the minute I saw her :-) Anyway, I am VERY happy with the GT and can't wait to start tinkering with it. I'll probably end up dropping the difference of $7k into the GT anyway but at least I'll be able to turn a few wrenches along the way....seems like that it half the fun of owning a car like this!

Quick Reply: New to forums, looking for advice