New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Questions for the experts - 68 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
cerelia

Default Questions for the experts - 68 coupe

Hi, I posted deep in another thread, folks may not have seen it. Betthese questions will be ones you've never heard. I'm here from a crime forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/coldcases/messages

and we need some expert advice. If you visit,the topic isin the BTK folder under Bruce Douglass. We have a gentlemen posting whose friend (18 years old at the time) was found deceased back in 1974 in the trunk of his 1968 Mustang (coupe). The autopsy said, "sudden death," because they weren't absolutely sure of what he died from, but there was carbon monoxide in his system. The engine was left running, and the trunk key was found in his pocket. Would it have been possible for him to kick or punch through to the back seat for air? Would it be in anyway normal for the trunk to have fill with carbon monoxide on this model? Was there anyway to open the trunk from inside?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for listening!

Cer
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions for the experts - 68 coupe

well the trunks on that year had gaps so they leaked sometimes they also brought in air are you sure he died from carbon monoxide??
Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow..I assume you posted did in our classic's section? If so and want to bring back up...just reply to your own post and type "bump"....this will tell people you wanted to bring it back up...hope it works for you...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 AM
cerelia

There was an elevated level of CO in his system, but the death certificate read "sudden death." The car was left out in the middle of a field, and the body wasn't found for over six weeks. I think it may have been difficult to tellby that point exactly what happened, but there were no alcohol or drugs in his system.

He was a freshman in college; one of our theories is that he was hazed by some other students in his dorm and they threw him in the trunk, not knowing there was a leak in the muffler or something. Some cars have an inherent design problem in that exhaust can get sucked back up into the trunk, but I don't find anywhere that any model of the mustangs did -- I knew you would know, though.

The other reason we're asking is, if he was abducted by someone he didn't know, we thought he would have kicked through somewhere to get some oxygen, but there were no signs of damage to the car or any signs of struggle on the body.

Very perplexing, and it's gone unsolved for over 35 years.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
cerelia

It was under one of the existing newbie threads, I'll go check that one, too. Thanks, TPony.

Cer