New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

gas???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM
melanieg78

Default gas???

ive noticed that my manual says its ok to use 87... however what does everyone else use? ive noticed a "pinging" noise ? do i need to do at least 89?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

Default RE: gas???

You shouldn't need to use anything more than 87 octane rating. All vehicles sold in North America are tuned to run optimally on 87 octane. I'd be tempted to say something else might be up...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I forgot what car you had. If this is the one you just purchased, the timing may be bumped a little and will require higher octane. You can lower the timing and get rid of the pinging, if that is indeed the issue.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Abom

You shouldn't need to use anything more than 87 octane rating. All vehicles sold in North America are tuned to run optimally on 87 octane. I'd be tempted to say something else might be up...
That isn't entirely true Martin. There are several vehicles types sold in North America that are actually tuned to run on 89, 91, or even 93 octane. Not all of them are tuned for 87. We don't know the make, model or even year of Melanie's car so we don't know for sure.

Melanie,
Pinging is usually pre-detonation. Pre-detonation means the fuel is actually combusting before the spark plug fires. The main causes are either the timing too far advanced, or you are running too hot of a spark plug.

You don't state what year of vehicle you have so it's hard to tell what the exact cause is. If you have an older car without a PCM (computer), it's easy to adjust the timing to get rid of the pre-detonation. If you have a PCM and want to change the tune, it can be done, but you would have to take your car to a tuner or use a chip.

If you don't want to retard the timing, re-program the PCM, or run a cooler spark plug, you can run higher octane fuel to compensate.

Either way, it is bad for the engine for this to happen so you want to get it fixed as soon as you can.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NorCalTroy
That isn't entirely true Martin. There are several vehicles types sold in North America that are actually tuned to run on 89, 91, or even 93 octane. Not all of them are tuned for 87. We don't know the make, model or even year of Melanie's car so we don't know for sure.
Actually, yes, you are correct, I jumped the gun assuming which vehicle it was. If it's an naturally aspirated, they should all run on 87, unless specifically mentioned by the manufacturer. I know here in Canada, even VWs and Mercedes are "de-tuned" from the factory to run on 87 octane.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
melanieg78

i have the 2007 gt premium
Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 AM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

It being a brand new car, without any mods, Martin's original thoughts are correct. There should not be any pinging from the recommended 87 octane. Is it happening all the time, or just under load? Has it always done it? Assuming it is still under warranty, you might want to call the dealer where you bought it and explain the problem to them as adjusting the timing yourself is more-or-less out of the question and spark plug issues shouldn't be present since I'm guessing the original plugs are still in the car.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

time for some warranty service
Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

I've had a problem with detonation since it was new.

Been in the dealer several times and they say everything is OK.

They even replaced the MAF and now the pinging is WORSE!

I can't really complain too loudly as the pinging happens outside of the posted speed limits...

Next year I get a tuner and decrease the spark advance over 2500 RPM.

SOHC

PS: 93 octane did not cure the problem either.

Quick Reply: gas???