New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New in US(CA), new in Mustang's world !!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Lionel

Default New in US(CA), new in Mustang's world !!

Hi all !

My name is Lionel, 32 years old, and I am french. In april I obtained my H1B working visa and I will come and live in Cupertino, CA.

I am really fan about performance car, and I choose from severals years to have japanese performance cars. But with my arrival in the country of uncle Sam, I think it is the moment to test the most popular legendary muscle car, the Ford Mustang !

So I need your advices, about the reliability of the mustang, the different versions and millesimes, the budget neede to buy one and the cost of the maintenance.

I really need informations on the process to buy a used car, where to go, what website to visit to find adverts, the cost of the insurance depending the differents versions of the mustang (v6,v8 !?)...

Many thanks and I hope to get enough information to get my car as soon as I will arrive in CAlifornia (October).

Lionel.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New in US(CA), new in Mustang's world !!

Lionel,

What you can do is visit FordVehicles.com and look at their pre-owned inventory.Mustangs are fairly expensive to fix depending on what the problem is. If something went wrong with your Transmission, if under warranty, no worry. However, if there is no warranty, you could be looking at around 1K-1.5K to fix. Both the V6 and V8 are good performers. If you have the money to tune the V6, it can become a better performer. The V8 comes witha .6 Liter bigger engine, 90 more HP and abouty80 LBS of Torque, better engineblock, and over allHandling.Gas however, you will most likely average 18MPG depending on the kind of driver you are. With agood down payment on a new GT, your payments will be around 550ish. Insurance will probably run you under 150 a month. Geico,Progressive, are both cheap. I use Geico, and they are the bomb! Take alook around, find out what your interestsare in the Mustang, what you are looking for, and let us know, then we can take it from there. Good luck Lionel!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 AM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

Go with a v8, it is not a muscle car without one. Welcome to MF, the USA and California.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Lionel

Thanks all for your welcome !
I used to have Japanese perf cars since 2000 here in France, and cars like Mustang or other supersized engine are very expensive and hard to use (economic cars and diesel one are kings in Europe, [:'(])
That's why it's a good opportunity to taste the mustang muscle flavour by coming in CAlifornia

I think I will ask for many advices on choosing my mustang if I choose this model
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Good advise. Welcome to the US and the forums.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 AM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
boss_dude_429
3rd Gear Member

hi lionel, well man it is all about your tastes, I mean if you want a classic they ran from 64-1/2 to 73 if you want a mustang II, they ran from 74-79 and man were the cobras sharp, then there's the fox bodies they ran from 80 to 93 I think. And low and behold then there's the late models they were 94-04, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and then the newest "resto-stangs". It all depends on what you like so i would go onto google images and start lookin at some stangs from all the years. the classics had three body styles coupe, convertible, and fastback. I don't really know what that II's had besides hatchbacks and fastbacks, don't really know if they are the same someone correct me if they are. but my tastes are to the classics, i have a 1970 mustang fastback and a 1966 mustang coupe, the fastback's gonna have my dad's boss 429, don't listen to all the other fools in the classic forums my dad really has one. and the 66's gonna have one of those new boss 302's. Two REALLY high performance cars. If you like the classics , like mine, then be prepared to spend some big bucks to get oneand if you put a big-block ford V8 then the insurence will be throgh the roof if you don't becareful. And one more thing the reason the mustang is the most famous of all muscle cars is ,number one, because of the boss mustangs, they created the mustangs reputation, sure your 4.6 dohc's were some serious performance engines but the bosses are what get attention. the cars that i have are in the process of being re-done
Old 06-16-2007, 05:01 AM
ezekiel

Hi! Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Lionel

I forgot to say that I am thinking about a mustang post-2000, and why not the last one