New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Recently new member

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Peter Ross

Default Recently new member

Hello, my name is Peter Ross and I recently bought a '66 Convertible (if October is recent) for my 50th birthday.
A very dear friend offered me the car(her brother's car)before it was nearly given away. He spend endless thousands on rust repairs and got the car back WITHOUT the interior and other parts.

The work seems to be quality work, but I have noticed poor sequencing of some of the work(right side doesnt match left side in some cases)
This seems to be a dream car as far as ready to tear apart and actually begin a rebuild instead of working toward the rebuild. I took as many shots of detail as possible, with the limited knowlege of these cars as I have at this time, that will soon change.

So, with this minimal knowlege I chose to leave the car alone until I form a plan. I am an advanced composites boatbuilder(30+years working with carbon fiber)swamped with too much work but with the ability to do all the work, metal and paint, to the highest level of completion.

Was this car done properly....frame/rust repair....doors fit poorly at first glance...
Does the car carry any real value given its high build #s
Can it be RACED vintage or SCCA (my first choice, but wont kill a good car if it has original value)
OR is it a perfect candidate for a ONE seater resto/mod toy........
OR does anyone want to offer crazy $$$$$$ for a good platform

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...20Convertible/

I am, however, certain I came to the right place and look forward to this build.
www.prossyachts.com
Thanks in advance for the advice I will soon be seeking...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Recently new member

sweet 'stang welcome to the family!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Peter, that is a gorgeous classic you have there. Welcome to MF! This place is amazing. So many knowledgeable people here. Based on what I know about cars, the frame looks slightly warped. There is a good amount of rust. The car is in decent shape being over 40 years old. I have seen much worse. I would first take this car to an antique-classic auto restore shop, and have them inspect it. Now, my guess is you will need to drop about 15K to get started on repairing this bad boy. Once you hit the body, you will need to hit that interior. Engine and such, will more then likely run another 10K or so. Depending on what needs to be done and if you want it rebuilt or if you want to buy a new engine all together. Once restored, you an also contact a huge MFG. Roush, Steeda, Saleen, and have them give you some tips on supping this beast up. Good luck with everything, let us know if you need some more info on where to go.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Peter Ross

Thank you for the responses.
Yes, I definately question the amounts of rust remaining. All the new work looks fine, but the body looks to be trouble. This doesnt bother me. It is the poor attention to detail in the engine compartment. I worry about the proper fit of all attatchent points etc. I took as many shots as possible of the rear tailight panel. It has a huge inward bow, looks like poor weld sequencing(hope this is the proper term.) The floor and frame work totalled $4,000. I dont know enough about this type of work, but it sure looks like too much car was left in tact during this repair. I would think there are indexing marks covered by the body panels. The tires give the car a poor stance, so the straightness is an unknown kind of.
I dont think it has any extensive frame rot left and certainly all floor matal is new...but that red crud must go. True etching time. Perhaps the car should be dipped or soda blasted?

I recently completed a Bertram 25 restoration, the owner dumped nearly $60,000 in a boat that is still worht only $15,000. I am fully prepaired to dig deep and often, but if this is a carstarted poorly it wont be worth the efforts. I think I will take it back to a reputable shop....I fear the results and will remain silent on the name of the shop that did the work as there amy be other issues that caused this restoration to come to a grinding hault(money was always there I am told, sooooooo hmmm)

As far as this place goes...holy !@#$ has any forum got so many members ONLINE at once.. what a great place.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:26 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Welcome! She sure has potential. Be sure and check out the classis section, those guys can surely help you out in the right direction.