New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New owner that needs color help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Gift4Hubby

Default New owner that needs color help!!!!

Hi everyone! I have purchased an 07 GT for my husband as a welcome home gift for his return from Iraq. It is the Vista Blue with the 18' Polished Aluminum Wheels, it also has the hood scoop. I want to have racing stripes painted on, got an estimate but not a clue what color of Silver I want on it. He knows about the car sitting in the garage, but I have told him we will have to save up for the stripes, I lied. I want to surprise him with something.We agreed on a design and know we want silver, but what color of silver. The shop told me to get them a year, make, and model number and they will get the paint. I don't want anything really overbearing. There is one in town with white, but all you see coming at you is the white stripes, you don't notice the car! If anyone can recommend a color number or something I would appreciate it so much!

[IMG]local://upfiles/72378/84DE952701F24DA4B90F2ACE7F21A883.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
gtmustang04
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New owner that needs color help!!!!

first of all i would like to thank ur husband for serving our country!!! its people like him that make this country great! and i think what u did for ur husband is cool! here is a link for a silver paint i hope its a help.
http://www.paintforcars.com/aep_gunmetal.html
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
shal

Hi, i was thinking about getting after market stripes painted on. Do you mind of i ask what the quote was?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Gift4Hubby

gtmustang04, Thank you for your response. Actually hadn't thought of gun metal grey, which is the color I would have ordered the whole car in. The hubby picked out the blue. Good thing I didn't totally surprise him with the car. Anyway, gunmetal grey would be good because it wouldn't be so bright and pop out.

Shal, my quote is a little over $1600. They are going to sand it where it will be painted, take bumpers and hoods off to paint it. Will also take out any gaskets (like at the top of the windshield) and will sand and paint those parts. He said he will then clearcoat it all and I probably will not be able to feel the stripes at all. This is a local repair shop that was voted #1in the local readers choice poll. I got a quote over the internet from another shop that was $950, but I wasn't sure if I trusted their work. Newer shop and don't want to trust my hubby's baby to just anyone.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 AM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the forums
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Hi Melissa,

I think silver stripes would look great on the vista blue. There are so many shades and levels of metalic that I don't envy you having to make a choice.

The body shop that did my car suggested a toyota black instead of the ford for a deeper darker shade. He mixed the paint for both my ford torch red and the toyota black right in the shop. Seems most shops can make any color in-house. You can ask them to make a color suggestion. They also noted that the hood paint needed to be different from the black out and different from the chin spoiler, being three different materials. Exactly what needed to be adjusted in the mix I could not tell you.

As far as cost, they painted my hood, chin spoiler, rear spoiler and between tail lights, including clear coat for $1,000, so you are in the ball park with price. Took one full week.

Great Gift 4 Hubby!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 AM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

Silver Blue Poly-Ditzler Code#12164
Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
namdliw

I don't have a color code but I do have a big thank you for you and your family..I appreciate all your husband does...and you for standing by him..THANK YOU!!...and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision you do about the color...choosing wheels made my stomach hurt...many lost hours of sleep...lol...good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

Welcome and thank your husband for his service! Its much greatly appreciated! Sorry i dont know much about getting stripes painted on, im a vinyl person.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Good luck selecting the color...great gift...welcome.

Quick Reply: New owner that needs color help!!!!