New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New here with situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Default New here with situation

Hello fellow mustang owners,[/align]I like the forum you have, very nice and full of information. I have a 2005 Mazda 6s with the mods in my sig. I bought my car in May 2005, I really love it being first car and everything. But my Dad would like a 'toy' car for him, so we would have to replace my car since we don't won't 4 cars. So we test drove a corvette, 350z and an M3. We both really fell in love with the M3, great power, brakes and it's the ultimate driving machine. We're looking to get 2002-2003 6-speed. So we're thinking to get it around September/October when the business should pick up, no guarentee though. [/align][/align]So my Dad's friend tells me that he's selling his cobra. Since he knows me he's offering $9K for a 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra, black, 5-speed, 70k miles. I know he takes car of his cars, (babys them, not hard on car) but their are a couple things holding me back from it:[/align][/align]1. It has 70,000 miles, even though I know John takes care of it, is there anything that can go wrong, or any problems. Not sure if clutch has been replaced. Just want to be sure it'll hold me with that many miles.[/align]2. It's black, I like black.....only if it's clean. So I'll be a fanatic cleaning that because I always like my car clean. (that's why silver is so easy to keep clean )[/align][/align]So tell me what you think guys, thank you.[/align]
Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New here with situation

Welcome to the board. If I knew the person selling the car, and I know the car had been taken care of, 70k on the clock would not bother me. That is low miles on a 99, less than 10k a year. I would buy it without hesitation.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

That's a pretty good price if you know it's been taken care of.

The 99's had a cooling/power loss problem, but there was a recall. I would find out if the proper fixes have been done. The 99's are an NA motor and make less significantly less power than their 03/04 supercharged counterparts. (305 vs. 390+)

They're still great cars and faster than most things on the road, but not in the same league as a corvette and designed differently than an M3. But, I bet the M3 was more than $9,000 too.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Really the 99 is a NA motor with 320 hp? Yeah the M3 we're looking to get it 30-35K. But with my parents business growing it's fine. Oh yeah and the difference in curb weight with M3 and Cobra (both coupe) M3 is 15 pounds lighter with 333 hp, just a fact I found out. I think I'm gonna tell him I'm interested andI'll ask if I can just drive it to get a feel forit. Thing is with my car since it's 2005 it has more conviences. The Cobra is a nice badass car with power so it's different.[/align]
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Great mileage and you can't beat Black!!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Well I must have heard him wrong, it's actually a 98'. So now it's a different style, not concerned with power 305 is still plenty, lol and I'm sure I can get that up easily. Is there like a sticky of mods to do in order? So it being a 98 I'm just iffy on it now. I'll wait until tomorrow since he's letting me give it for a spin. If I'm convinced I might go for changing the headlights and maybe taillights just don't like that look.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Well I test drove the car today. Wow! Was I impressed. Clutch is heavy after going from mazda6 to cobra but that'll get some getting used to. But it was real clean and just was so much fun to drive. It looks like I'll be selling my car (first stripping off my exhaust and selling it) and getting it. [/align][/align]There are a couple exterior thingsI would like to do like a cobra front vanity plate, have the COBRA in white on the windshield. Where can I get that? And also there is cobra on the rear bumber but it's in black. Where can I get it in white? Thanks guys really appreciate it.[/align]
Old 07-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Kiryoku
2nd Gear Member

Welcome, check out some of the sponsors for parts, good choice with the cobra
Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Just an update: My car (mazda6) is up for sale. Once I sell it the Cobra is mine, just gotta be patient. John is patient too waiting for me but he's in no rush at all. I've already come up with a few things to get for it. I'm thinking to put a cobra windshield decal, cobra svt license plate frame and I'm thinking a K&N CAI for a little performance and sound.

Quick Reply: New here with situation