New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Welcome home!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
WUZHOT50

Default Welcome home!

Hey folks forgive me if I sound ignorant...Let me start by saying I am a police officer and we really aren't as smart as people give us credit for (and that is real bad) but don't hate me, because I strongly dislike many of the ones I work with, it is just like any job, there are some that belong and some that don't. I like speed and guns, so I became a cop.
Which, leads me to this, about 2.5 years ago I had a house built to accomodate my 1967 mustang that I bought back in 1989 from the original owner, my dad and I spent many hours rebuilding her and she was ready by the time I got my license on my 16th birthday. During my senior year it was sitting out in front of my house and a drunk driver ran into it and then sped off, never to be caught. I had to by the car back from the insurance company for $900.00 (they totalled it for $1500.00). We put way more money into it, obviously. Now, back to the 2.5 years ago part...I her stored at a large garage off an old coutry road, under a car cover. She did not run, and when I showed up to pick her up to take her to the new home, where I was to start the resto process over again, she was gone. Somebody had stolen her. Because I was a police officer I had the capability to check the vin to see if anyone tried to re-register her. After 2.5 years I am ashamed to say, I gave up hope on finding her. THEN...someone sent a certified letter to my dad (whom it was still registered to) requesting the title so they can get to restoring it. The person lived in my jurisdiction, so 3 hours later, she is back home where she belongs! I actually recovered it in uniform, so I actually recovered my own stolen car..unbelievable.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Welcome home!

Welcome to the forums, and I'm very glad to hear you got your car back, and that is just, as you put it "unbelievable".
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
WUZHOT50

Thanks Ovalboy
I could not believe it. Hey quick question, my 67 has a slotted hood for turn signals, was there a transition period when they went to the slotted hood or did the original owner find it off of 68? It always intrigued me. Wasn't sure if you knew or not. I will post some pictures when I get a chance, thanks for the welcome. Your car looks nice! Hopefully I am not too far behind.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
ScreamingYellow2005
2nd Gear Member

recorvered own stolen car lol that some crazy stuff
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
WUZHOT50

Thanks Screamingyeller,

I can't believe how close I was to buying a project car... Within the month. I found one that was going to be pretty expensive ($5,000) up front, but being a police officer and my wife is a teacher, they don't pay much in these parts. So I had to try to find something that would not break the bank trying to restore. Kinda the easy way out, I know, but I had to do what I had to do. But she is back home and obviously in much better shape than the one I was going to buy! My dad has a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with the 428 Super Cobra Jet and my brother just recently purchased a grabber orange Shelby GT500 (2007). He's a doctor and he can afford it. Some guys have all the luck! I look forward to learning how to rebuild her!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board, amazing story indeed. We have several officers on the forums. I hate a thief more than anything in this world. Glad you got your car back, now let the restoration begin. Dont forget to check out the classic section, those guys know their stuff!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:47 PM
jchantelau
2nd Gear Member

Welcome and what an incredible story. Glad you got your baby back and thanks for serving and protecting, police officers just don't get enough credit for what ya'll do.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Kiryoku
2nd Gear Member

Welcome, that is one good story. Being in LE myself thats one you should write in to COPS mag! Bet it doesn't happen often,. Good luck with the project
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

[sm=jawdrop.gif]that is one crazy story, have fun restoring it and hope nothing else goes wrong, oh yeah, welcome to the forum
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WUZHOT50

Thanks Ovalboy
I could not believe it. Hey quick question, my 67 has a slotted hood for turn signals, was there a transition period when they went to the slotted hood or did the original owner find it off of 68? It always intrigued me. Wasn't sure if you knew or not. I will post some pictures when I get a chance, thanks for the welcome. Your car looks nice! Hopefully I am not too far behind.
I'm almost positive that at some point during the production of the 67 they transitioned into the hood with turn signals, I used to think it was only a 68 thing as well, but I've seen that hood on a number of 67s so I'm pretty sure it was available in 67. Thanks for the compliment, it has been a project over the past four years, slowly, but surely coming together.

Quick Reply: Welcome home!