New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New mustang questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Taojin

Default New mustang questions.

Hi everybody, new to the forum here. I'm getting a new car soon, and I can't stop thinking abut the new mustang. Ideally I would like to get a V8 GT, but I can't afford it. Instead I'm gonna get a V6 if I can find one for a good price. I'm not sure what kind of transmission I want, but then again that all depends on cost and what I can find. What's the advantages of a manual to an automatic? I hear people say "get a stick" but is there a huge difference in performance with a stick compared to an automatic? I'm not gonna be racing this on the track or around my neighborhood, but I would like something fast. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 PM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New mustang questions.

Welcome to the forums!
IMO, it's simply a matter of preference. Some people, myself included, enjoy the fun of driving a car with a manual transmission.
Other than that, I don't really know of any differences, performance-wise.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Performance wise, there is an advantage to having a stick. Most of the time, you can get more torque to the ground with a manual tranny. Also, if driven right, you can realize more MPG as well. I am not biased to believe a stick is the best you can get, just my preference. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Have you checked out if there are any 05 GT out there for sale? BTW, I have an auto...just what I wanted.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Agent Orange

Tao, I am new also..i just ordered a 2008 cal sp gt mustang. I can't wait to get it...delivery is 8-10 weeks! Regarding manual vs automatic tranny, the manual transmission gets a little better gas mileage and you get to shift thru the gears as it is a sports car.
automatics use a little more gas. Other than that, it is pretty much a personal preference.

AO
Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, as for manual vs. automatic, from my experience driving both I'd have to say I tend to get much worse gas mileage with the stick because I have a tendency to "over rev" and waste gas while driving around, but same can be said for automatics, so its really your preference. I have to agree with d4rb and say that I enjoy driving a manual transmission, simply because I find it fun.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Taojin

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad it's mostly a personal preference cause I didn't want to lose alot of power due to picking the wrong transmission.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Taojin

I haven't checked the forums, but I have checked cars.com, and autotrader.com. I haven't checked the forums cause I need financing, and that's why I'm going the dealership route. I'm dreading it though........ dealers can be a pain.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

aka, "stealership"!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
HappyTrails
1st Gear Member

As the others have stated, personal preference. I preferred/have a manual.If it will make a difference, the auto will also cost you a few dollars more.

Quick Reply: New mustang questions.