New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

'Stang Convertible in Miami--damn, it's fun--Picture!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default 'Stang Convertible in Miami--damn, it's fun--Picture!

Hello, everyone...I am a new Mustang owner, and quite new to forums. I know very little about mechanics, and can't do much more than a full tune up / oil change, and the like (which I just did on the 'stang a few days ago---a breeze! No rotor cap!) I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT before (called him Mufasa because the exhaust reminded one of an angry James Earl Jones) I was married, and loved the rush and thrill of fast car. After a year of marriage, I'm giving the wife the Jeep, and just bought this green monster you see below. It is a 1996 GT, with about 40K miles. Amazingly kept. Until I drove this beast, I did NOT know what power was. My 3K GT was a bit faster off the launch, but once the mustang is in 2-3rd gears, there is no catching it. It actually SPINS the tires when it switches to 2nd AND 3rd (automatic transmission--urgh!). I always dreamed of having a convertible--especially here in Miami! It is unbelievable. I am currently working on the car with modifications and upgrades--nothing cheezy or adolescent--need new headlights, and probably will install a cold air intake, that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to swapping stories with you bunch, and hope to learn a great deal...thanks for having me.

Cheers from Sunny Miami!!
Gaspi

[IMG]local://upfiles/12394/F74B36D9E4C549A2B9261E32BD91445D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 'Stang Convertible in Miami--damn, it's fun--Picture!

Forced the wife to pose with the 'stang...lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/12394/A590E94FE70643D58843CB0432FD1A3E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
TheAntiRice
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, glad to see another stang owner. I'm guessin' you didn't have a VR4, because that would stomp your 96 stang, lol. Good Luck with your car, and know that it can be made waayyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than it is if you ever feel the need to modify.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Yeah...couldn't afford a VR4 for the life of me. I did have one with a bolt-on turbocharger that gave me about 30hp more around the midrange. It was loud, but that was pretty much it was all that that was good for. No VR4=no ABS, all-wheel drive, or sport suspension--I wish I could go back a year and kick my own *** with my 'stang! What cost-effective ways do you know of increasing HP on a 96 GT? Some upgrades/mechanics I'm doing this weekend: JDM Headlights, new top (got to figure out how to do that!), Cobra brakes for all four wheels (no money for new calipers yet), cold air intake, new grill (aluminum mesh, perhaps?)--I'm thinking about a tuning the computer with one of those plug-in computer tuners I saw on eBay. Are the $200 worth it? Open to any suggestions. Thanks so much. mate!

gaspi
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
stinkystang
1st Gear Member

welcome and nice ride....and im am so damn jealous that you took that picture on jan 3 and you are on a beautiful beach in shorts and a tee shirt....damn you!!! its snowing here right now and it sucks!!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

HAHAHA....yeah...I'm so sorry for all of you freezing your butts. We had about 3 cold days this winter--the temperature actually dropped to the mid 60s. It was quite horrible. But now it's holding steady at a lovely 90. There's no such thing as anti-freeze down here. We call it only "coolant." ;-)
Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
vshayes
I ♥ Acer

nice car! Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 PM
TheAntiRice
2nd Gear Member

To increase horsepower/tq effectively on your 96 stang I would start with a PI Head Swap. PI means "Performance Improved", I don't know much about it other than almost everyone with an older 2v GT does it to put them next to a newer model GT performance wise. I'm pretty sure it raises the compression ratio of the motor, and that the heads get a valve job and the intake and exhaust runners get ported. Of course for the price of a head swap your not far off in price from supercharging your car, so if you can do either or both I would suggest it.

Other things that will make you go faster would be to get some gears, aftermarket exhaust, or nitrous if you are inclined. To answer your question about chips and tuners, I have a Jet Chip and it gave me a small performance gain. A chip would be best after you have done all your modifications; head over to a dyno shop and have them burn a chip specifically for your car.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:50 PM
RedStangGT2000
2nd Gear Member

Damn I need to be in FL[&o]
Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Damn I need to be in FL
I agree. Welcome to the forums. Have fun.

Quick Reply: 'Stang Convertible in Miami--damn, it's fun--Picture!