New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

opinions wanted for noobie

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
trakkker

Default opinions wanted for noobie

Hi guys, new to the forum...old to older mustangs, but want one again (the mustang bug never completely leaves you!)

I want to buy an older "new" mustang for around $3-7k and then have a new cam, headers, etc., the typical stuff changed out to make it street fast. I'm 41 years old...so lots of torque, wide stance,and a good sound from the exhaust are most wanted. I also REALLY want to be able to put a shaker hood on it. Mid-life crisis? Maybe, who cares!

I live in Florida and of course want a convertible.

Here's my question: Since I will be replacing most of the bolt-ons, and swapping out the cam...do I need a GT? Or will I be throwing most of the GT perf parts away as I swap out?

Which years have the most "hidden potential" under the hood?

I figure you guys know these babies inside and out, so whatever advice you offer will be looked into.

Thanks a ton!
Darrin / Trakkker
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: opinions wanted for noobie

LOL the 89 Fox GT has a hella big advantage, LX's are alright, but your good body kits lean on the GT's.

The GT's are also usually much better maintained while LX's tend more often to be raced to hell.

Also if your going for more than the Foxbody, the 95, 98-01, and such years all hold favourable engines on the GT's and Cobras.