New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Me and My Mustang

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
TheRed67Dream

Default Me and My Mustang

Hey everybody. I just stumbled on this website/forum at work and decided to join up. I'm 23, in the Navy, and love my Mustang to death. Rachel, as I call her, is a red67 coupe with a 289. Since I've had it, I've had to do about 2years (1999-2001)of restoration just to get the motor running. Everything I've learned about working on cars I learned by working on this car so my knowledge is relatively limited. I acquired it in a rather bittersweet way...It used to belong to my cousin back when he was in high school, then he left for college and became paralyzed from the waist down in a drunk-driving accident. Unable to use the car anymore, he called me up and told me to take it the hour drive from his parents' house to mine in Chandler, OK (where I'm originally from). I couldn't get my trailer on my truck fast enough and four hours later I had a 67 Mustang sitting in my garage. I popped the hood and nearly had a stroke. I learned laterthat the last time the car had run (roughly 1993), the battery had fallen into the alternator fan and been shredded, spraying acid all over the engine bay. Naturally, rust and other undesirable corrosion took place over the six years it sat. In 2003 (my senior year of high school), I got it tagged (farm tag, I proved I could pull a cattle trailer with it), titled, and insured. Immediately thereafter, my Mustang and I took Oklahoma by storm andwe wereseen almosteverywhere north of I-40 and in a few places south of the interstate. It was running, but not very well. I got with Edelbrock and purchased the 500 cfm manual choke Performer series carb and the matching intake manifold. Also, new valve covers entered the picture, as well as new pipes with Borla mufflers. I've replaced the forward and aft driveshaft seals, as well as replaced the tranny pan since my C-4 leaks like a F-14 (if ain't leaking it's dry). That slowed it but it's still leaking at a steady pace. I don't know body work good enough to repair the problems, so I'll be enlisting help in the future. It has a few rust spots under the paint on the exterior and my front floor boards are almost gone (lift carpet, see highway). The right side motor mount is broken and I haven't had time to repair it. When I left for the Navy, the Mustang stayed in Oklahoma, where it continues to sit to this day, being started once a week by my father. I miss it dearly and every chance I have I work on it and drive it. I gather parts and information as time goes by, then when I'm with it, I put it all together. Rachel is my most prized possession and with the unlimited knowledge and advice I can get here, I'll have her fixed and running like new again. I'm not going for stock restoration, but I would like to soup up the engine a decent amount and put a good sound system in it. So that's my story. Thanks for reading. And thanks even more ahead of time for all the help and advice I'll be getting from these forums. Looking forward to talking with everybody.

Rob
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM
musclecargt71
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Me and My Mustang

Welcome to the fourm....im sure you'll find all the info you need here.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Hi Rob, Welcome to the forums. Best of luck on your restomod.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow, bitter-sweet story alright. Welcome.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

welcome! got any pics?