New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Snipedown

Default New to Mustangs

I have not owned a mustang yet but I have test drove several of them. I am one of those guys that I said I would never own a ford but something has changed my mind. With that said I need some advice on my purchase of a mustang.

I am looking at a few diffrent models mostly around the 1998 - 2000 year model. I have noticed alot of convertibles are sitting on the lots for decent prices, but I am hesitant to buy one considering I live in Portland and it rains all day everyday and I don't have a garage.

The second thing is I don't have alot of money right now and I can't afford a decent v8 mustang would a v6 from that era even be worth it?

Lastly is there anything I should know about the longevity of the car before I buy one?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New to Mustangs

Well a 98 mustang is a different model than the 99-04. I had a 1995 v6 and it was slow as dirt. The 98 mustang in a v6 would be just as slow. If you get a 99-04 v6, it would be faster than the 94-98 v6's but they are still somewhat slow from what I hear. I would just save up a little while longer and get a GT. You will be much happier in the end.

Welcome to the site by the way
Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I will tell you that Mustang and Ford Rangers are good running vehicles, even the 87-93 foxes are very reliable even ifset up for performance. I havehad 88GT for a year now with no problems. I did own a 2001Gt(RiP) w full options w 80K miles I got for 9400that was trouble free. If you are patient you can find a mustang that someone will list it too low now knowing it or someone who has plenty of money and will let it go cheap to rid of it fast. My advice would be get any yearGT you can afford.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Oh yea, don't get a vert cause where you live. Also, my friend rolled my 01GT, we would both be dead if it was convertible. Besides that vert are easy for thieves to get into and you won't just pay for glass repair, it'll be a new vert top.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

If i were you i would be a little more patient and save up and get a GT model....you will be much happier with the performance if you did.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Snipedown

cool, thanks for the help. It might take a while on auto trader to find the right one, the best thing I have found so far is a 07 GT for $6000 with 70k miles on it, however it dosen't have power locks, seats or windows. Waiting a few weeks to find the best deal is a great idea, get the car I want the first time.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

Like I said, take your time. Doesn't hurt anything to take your time to make sure you get what you want. When I was 18 I bought an eclipse because I had to have it right then, and regretted it a month later, and 7 years later I'm just now getting out of that car getting what I want. So just make sure you shop around and make sure its what you want. Good Luck
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

you found an 07 for 6k i would say that is the best deal you are gonna find and the possiblities are endless with one of those , and by the wya welcome
Old 12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Hi, Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Snipedown

Hmm, after looking at it it does have front end damage...but not that bad.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Quick Reply: New to Mustangs