New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new to forum.... need help :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
mustangpookie

Default new to forum.... need help :)

Well this is my first post and I will start by saying hello to everyone!

I have saved a 2000 mustang V6 from its destruction by a drunk driver and she is need a some TLC amoung other things.. I was wanting to see if I could get some feed back as I have been an admirer of stangs for years, but this is my first own! WOOHOOO!!!
So with that in mind I am a true layman... lol

Here's her deal... besides $1000 in body damage ;( she is also making some wierd noises. Can anyone give me some idea of what kinds of warnings/noises stangs will make when the rear dif is going out or the U joint needs replacing?
it seems like everytime I brake at any kind of incline or sit idle at a red light/stop signshe makes a real horrible noise, (almost a grinding, ratteling sound) I can't even begin to discribe it, but it is loud enough to freak out whomever may be infront of me, I have had 2 poeple now move up there cars when I came up behind them.. it just starting doing a few weeks ago and at first it was only on an incline, but now its doing it more and louder..... a couple poeple seem to think that one of those 2 things are going out.... or the transmission is going out, which I am praying is not the case.... I am hoping for the 2 lesser expensive fixes... and with that said, are there any warnings when the transmission is going out that I would hear? It doesnt seem to be slipping gears at all and rides pretty good considering its been beat all to heck! Come to find out the dude did burn outsand really romped on it for the 6 months he had it until he hit a jersey barrier on I-40 north to Ft. Smith and it pretty much did her in, she sat for about a year and then I took her to give her the love she deserves.
Any feedback you guys have would be greatly appreciated, I dont know if anyone has ever had these issues with an abused stang, but I would really love to get her back up to par and looking great again. She has the Electric green paint w/ pearl flake and GT body kit. Interior is in great cond. and everything works so far. lol I'll post pics once I re-size
Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new to forum.... need help :)

Hello Mustangpookie, welcome to the forum. You're in the right place to get some leaned experience and advice. Some real knowledgable stang owners in this forum. I'd love to help you but I too am new to mustang ownership (Dec 07) so any advice/recommendations I'd give would be very suspect. Good luck on the TLC for your stang...she deserves it.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
mustangpookie

thanks, and btw the name is Dawn.. love your pic!..... my husband calls me mustang pookie as a joke, but it fit! lol
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
00StangFF
1st Gear Member

welcome! i too have a '00 V6 Stang that has been wrecked....my mother decided to clean out a ditch on a back country road, gee thanks mom lol. lots a damage. But all the same, welcome and i hope you get her fixed up! for the rattling, where is it coming from? Can you pinpoint an area?

I had a transmission start to go on me, it didnt want to shift and when it finally did shift, it was rough...mind you this was in a truck though.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 AM
klfutrelle
4th Gear Member

Welcome, post in our tech section for help.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
mustangpookie

well we think we may have found the prob. got the U joint and transmission checked out Sat. and everything looks good, but they think it may be the break booster going out.... so we have narrowed it down some, thanks for all the welcomes! I look forward to posting, learning, reading and just hanging out here.