New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

looking for a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
cherac

Default looking for a mustang

Hey all,

your site was recommended to me by someone on another forum because I am looking to possibly buy a mustang but have no idea about cars whatsoever. (I'll get had) I used to drive a '95 Mustang, and It was just so comfortable and nice to drive, I'm not sure I want anything else. Where should I post in the forum if I'm looking for some help on where to start?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Default RE: looking for a mustang

Welcome to the Forums!!! First of all, what kind of car do you like? If a mustang, what type of body style? Are you looking for new or used?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
cherac

yeah, I know NOTHING about cars. I know I want a small car, 2 door, I can't drive anything big. Like I said above, I used to drive a 95 mustang, and I haven't felt really comfortable driving anything else since. So if I can find it within my price range, then I'd really like to go witha mustang again.I don't know much more than that, I dont' even know what you mean by body style. (sorry, I'm trying to learn, but I know I need a lot of help right now!) I would prefer used, but I definately need something that still has a warranty because I can't be going in to get repairs, people see sucker stamped on my forhead. For that reason I'm wondering if I need to get something new.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Basically, do you like the new mustang, 05+, or the older mustangs. Body style is the look of the car. How much are you looking to spend, how much can you afford? Used does not always mean beat up or bad. There are plenty of used Mustangs in your area. Have you checked out Autotrader, carmax?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

welcome to the family

you really cant go wrong with a mustang

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Zep

I don't think she's looking for a Terminator lol!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
cherac

i'm looking to spend somewhere around 20,000 CDN, that wouldbe affordable.I do like the newer styles, since '05. I like the lookof the '95, but did not like the boxier look of them a few years later. Ideally, I'd get something about a year old so like an 07 or an 06 with low kms.

is carmax only us? I've tried auto trader, just wasn't sure where to start or what to look for really.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

You can easily find a low mile 06-07 GT with around 20K. First, I'd check out fordvehicles.com and see what colors you like, and if you want a V6 or the GT. Then, I'd start to hit autotrader, and vehix, etc. and see who is selling. Also, check out craigslist.com That site usually has a lot of cars listed, and you can ask the sellers questions, and even check the cars out.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

new v6 mustangs start at about 20k so a year or two old u should have no problem
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
SLAQUER

Sounds to me based on your price range you would be a good V6 candidate. I know you said you're not very knowledgable about cars and whatnot, so V6 is basically the type of engine. The GT version of the mustang has a V8. The 6 and the 8 in the names stand for the number of cylinders in the engine. The "V" means that the cylinders form a "V" shape. All of that is pretty much not important though for your sake. All you need to know is that the V8 is quite faster and more powerful than the V6. The V8 is also quite a bit more money. Since you don't strike me as a performance car enthuiast and based on your price range, you should definitely look into a V6. Like I said, the V6 is not as fast as the V8 but it's still a quick and fun car. It definitely doesn't slow poke around. Also, a V6 will have better gas mileage and it should make you insurance cheaper and it should be a bit better in the snow (should be helpful in canada). Of course no mustang is a good snow car because they are all rear wheel drive. I used my 2002 Mustang GT for 5 years in the snow and I survived but I had a few scary moments with some ice. I also bought some good snow tires to help. I would definitely recommend doing that if you end up buying a mustang. It makes a big difference. Also, be sure to get "Traction Control" on the mustang you buy. It came standard with my Mustang but if I'm not mistaken you have to add this feature to the newer model mustangs. Traction control will help keep your car from slipping and sliding in the snow. If your wheels start to slide around the engine will automatically slow itself down for you. It's an absolute live saver. It's saved me many times. Especially going up hills in the snow. At any rate though, mustangs are great cars and you won't regret buying one I'm sure. If you can afford it, I would definitely try to get a new one since you are worried about getting screwed over. You should feel pretty safe about any new mustang. There definitely shouldn't be any major issues with the car since it'll be brand new and the dealer really can't over charge you for the car. Just make sure you find out how much the MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price) of the car is before you go buy it. Try to get them to lower the price but most certainly don't pay more than the MSRP and you'll be ok. You canfind out the MSRP by going to the ford website and building a mustang with all the options you want. You can print it out and bring it to the dealer with you and see if they can help you find the exact mustang you want. Don't forget though that they will add sales tax, destination fee, and a title and license fee to the price. That's all normal stuff. They aren't trying to pull a fast one. If they add other stuff to the MSRP though, be sure you know what you're paying for and make sure it's legit. Also if you end up financing the car, it's a good rule of thumb to keep your loan at 5 years or less. Some dealers will try to trick you by giving you a great monthly payment but you will be paying for the car for 6,7, or even more years. It's not a good idea to do that. You want to pay the car down at a rate that will let you trade it in years down the road if you choose. 5 years or less is usually a good amount of time to pay it off to make sure you will be able to trade it without losing much money. All of that stuff gets involved and I'm not sure I have the time to type it all out for you. At any rate though, good luck and have fun picking one out and driving it!!!