New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

RX7 owner interested in stangs..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
arkwar

Default RX7 owner interested in stangs..

Hey.. I'm new to the boards. I'm turning 18 in a couple months and I've had my '88 RX-7 since I was 15. I've been on rx7club.com for a while and I'm just now getting interested in Mustangs. Someone at rx7club.com posted a link to the Chris Johnson call out video(don't have the link but I'm sure most of you have already seen it), and I fell in love with the Kenne Bell Cobra in it.

So I'm just here to learn some about mustangs and piston engines I know a bit about rotary performance, but I really have no clue when it comes to pistons. I'm going into the Navy soon after I turn 18, which means I'll have a bunch of extra money. I absolutely love cars, and until now I was thinking about getting an FD and give it a 20b or a built 13b, but honestly seeing that one mustang has given me doubt. I'm now thinking about getting a mustang, but I don't want to go in blind.

Before I make any decisions, I guess I just want to find out more about mustangs. If I do end up getting one, I would probably keep it stock except for the suspension (don't want to give up the rex's handling ) but I need to learn as much as I can.

I love the exhaust note of big V8s.. And the fact that I might get an engine to last more than 50k miles. So... here's your chance to convert an import guy I'm willing.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:54 PM
scorp4
1st Gear Member

Default RE: RX7 owner interested in stangs..

the guys on these forums will deffinetely turn you into a musrang guy. They are also extremely helpful in letting you know any information you need rgarding mustangs and their performance. Wether you want an all out drag racer to a 24 hour lemans car or just a simple performance daily driver they will know what you should do. I also think that the mustangs will staisfy your need for speed. welcome to the world of mustangs by the way.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 AM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome!! Sounds like you're really interested in the car, a lot like i was when I was looking for my stang. You'll learn a hell of a lot in the tech forums, I've learned SO much about my car, I know a lot more than most people can even think. haha.

Have fun! And best of luck in the navy.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Well, a KB Cobra is definatly a sweet ride.
The Whine, the power that just throws you back in your seat and doesnt stop until you either hit something.
Or well, just let off
There's plenty of options to go for if you go Mustang as well.
You can either go the old Fox route, great pushrod power. Very cheap to build, light, and a HUGE! aftermarket.
Be warned, theyre not the fastest stock tho. And it may be hard to find a stock fox.
Or even one with low mileage. Unless you wanted to rip the engine anyways and just go with all new crap.

Or hell, you could even wait for the new cobra that's soon to come. Supposedly stouting the 5.4 and a blower, going to be making some impressive numbers stock.
Or maybe you'd like an 03/04 Cobra like the one in that vid with the KB blower.

Bah, just choose a bodystyle if money is no option and go with that
They're all great performers.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:30 AM
arkwar

I've been looking around the tech section.. There is so much stuff I don't know where to start. I guess I have a question:

If I buy a Mustang, I would want to buy a 2000-2004 GT hardtop. Could anyone give me a list of some common performance mods to get me started? I don't mind searching, but I don't know what to search for at the moment. I have a bunch more specific questions that I could ask but I know I can just search for those.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 02:54 AM
arkwar

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Well, a KB Cobra is definatly a sweet ride.
The Whine, the power that just throws you back in your seat and doesnt stop until you either hit something.
Or well, just let off
There's plenty of options to go for if you go Mustang as well.
You can either go the old Fox route, great pushrod power. Very cheap to build, light, and a HUGE! aftermarket.
Be warned, theyre not the fastest stock tho. And it may be hard to find a stock fox.
Or even one with low mileage. Unless you wanted to rip the engine anyways and just go with all new crap.

Or hell, you could even wait for the new cobra that's soon to come. Supposedly stouting the 5.4 and a blower, going to be making some impressive numbers stock.
Or maybe you'd like an 03/04 Cobra like the one in that vid with the KB blower.

Bah, just choose a bodystyle if money is no option and go with that
They're all great performers.
just read that, yeah the KB Cobra I saw was freaking awesome. It's very hard to get an RX-7 to push those kind of numbers (638 hp / 5?? ft/lbs), and when you do you can expect to rebuild the motor after a very short amount of time...

In my above post I said I wanted a 2000-2004, but I think I would really like an '03-'04 Cobra like you said. I don't know what bodies go with what years... Sorry for being a newb I want the same body as the one in that video. I got accepted into the Navy's nuke program which has the best pay / benefits for an enlisted person and I don't plan on being married or having kids, so I should have a ton of extra money. I have had to swap my RX-7's engine out before (blew a rotary.. imagine that) and I actually enjoyed it. My dad has every tool known to man so I could definitely just borrow whatever I need from him and do all the work myself, leaving me with TONS of cash just for parts. Hell, even if I need something that he doesn't have, he would buy it just to say he has it and let me use it. I hope I don't jinx it, but I really don't think money will be an issue here.

What I meant to say in my original post is that I wanted to keep it stock for a while before doing any serious modding.. Basically, I'm young, and the only car I've ever owned is my '88 N/A rx-7, which was close to stock (and not too quick). I'm not going to lie to myself, I know I'm not experienced enough to be a good driver. I would rather take it slow to get a good feel for my car than build a 500 horsepower monster right away and kill myself within a week. I hope I get stationed near a race track, because I really want to be able to go to all of the open track days I can. With that said, I eventually want to have something that is fast as all hell and street legal to boot.

I could easily spend 600-700 per month on whatever I buy. Ah, one more question.. Anybody know of a website with lots of good Mustang vids? I'm craving it
Old 04-10-2005, 01:36 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arkwar

I've been looking around the tech section.. There is so much stuff I don't know where to start. I guess I have a question:

If I buy a Mustang, I would want to buy a 2000-2004 GT hardtop. Could anyone give me a list of some common performance mods to get me started? I don't mind searching, but I don't know what to search for at the moment. I have a bunch more specific questions that I could ask but I know I can just search for those.

Thanks
Most of the mods people seem to reccommend here are:

-gears
-exhaust
-new headers, cams... etc
-air intakes
-chips
-underdrive pulleys

Mostly bolt on stuff. You can go over to the 4.6 forums and find TONS of posts on this kinda stuff... also try the pipes,boost, and juice forum.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
arkwar

Thanks! I'm looking around now.. I'm pretty much dead set on buying a mustang now, and I have another 3 months before I'm shipped out. Plenty of time to learn everything
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 AM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Yeap. You'll be surprised how much you learn here in just one sitting. It's a great source of info.

Do you know where you'll be shipped out to? I'm assuming you're going to leave soon for bootcamp eh? My b/f just went into bootcamp a couple weeks ago, and in every letter he writes how he didn't think it would be so hard. He's in the army reserves though, maybe navy will be a bit easier on ya!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:47 AM
arkwar

Yeah, I'm hoping the navy won't be too hard :P I should really get in shape before I go to boot camp, but I know I won't lol. I'm not overweight at all, I just haven't worked out in a while.

I'm going to Great Lakes, IL in late July for boot camp. That lasts like 8 weeks if I remember correctly... it's been a long time since I talked to my recruiter so I forget where I go after that. There's only 1 school for what I'm going in for (nuke) and it's on the East coast somewhere. Should be a nice change from CA Less emission regulations at least, and I might be able to get decent pump gas. It will be nice to live somewhere green for a change too! I live in the desert about 2 hours away from Death Valley, so the only vegetation I ever see has to have an irrigation system to sustain it.

After looking around the 4.6 forums I have my heart set on an '03 Cobra. These next 5 or 6 months before I get out of boot camp are really going to SUCK! Haha I can't wait. I'm tempted to go down to the dealership and just say "Look.. I'm going into the navy in 3 months, and all I'm going to have to pay for is that car. If you let me have it for free for 3 months, then I'll buy it from you. Otherwise I'm going to buy it in Illinois." Think it would work? I think I'll just get laughed at but I want to try it anyways..

Quick Reply: RX7 owner interested in stangs..