New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang Noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Noob

Welcome to the forums!!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:44 PM
frawsty

hi all I'm back.

Well I got myself a 2007 V6 with 13k miles on it. Looks virtually brand new inside and very few noticeable blemishes on the exterior. I LOVE IT! I got black with the pony package (missing the stabilizer bar?) the white rocker stripes, shaker 500 system, integrated fog lamps etc. Great acceleration and speed. I love it :-D

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum and seems like my first best step is to get a tuner but I have a few questions:
1. The hand held tuners ($300-$400) are for do-it-yourself engine/computer remapping/tuning for fuel and engine performance right? This seems to be the best, first after-market purchase.
2. Are the turners designed to be used often? or is it something you just use a few times in several years?
3. I want to improve the volume of the exhaust so I plan on getting a Cold Air Intake and Catback exhaust which will be a problem for the current tune on my car so I would need to use the hand held tuner right?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
frawsty

I only got one key when I got the car. I need a spare which the dealer quoted $35 for the key then twice that for programming :-/

One Mustang I checked out had the remote keyless entry/trunk open transmitter (little black item) This also didn't come with my ride. Is this a standard feature on the 2007 V6's? How can I tell if my ride has this feature because I'd like to get the transmitter from the dealer too.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

Hi frawsty...congrat on the car...it sounds like great. To answer your question...yes the hand held tuners are the way to go if you install a cold air intake (CAI) on your car. Generally speaking once you install the tune you don't have to do it again unless you change the octane level of the gas you are using. Most shops will install 3 tunes on your tuner, 87 octane, 91 octane and 93 octane if 93 is available in your area. The tunes usually are included in the price of the tuner...but not always, so check.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
22Stang08
1st Gear Member

welcome
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
frawsty

Thanks for the reply. Here's a pic of my ride.

So the tuners have saved settings from the vendor? That doesn't sound like it would be very accurate because I could have a CAI and various other aftermarket modifications. How is the vendor supposed to know what's best to program for my setup? Would a dyno tune be better in this case?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

The vendor you buy your tuner from will ask you several questions...what mods, engine size, year of auto, PCM code and octane tunes you want. With that information they will load "tested/proven" tunes into your tuner. Those are the tunes you use to replace your factory tune. The process works great...some good vendors are Bama Chips, Brenspeed, SCT...there are a number of others. You will see Bama and Brenspeed mentioned alot on these forums. As far as dyno tune...if the only mods are a CAI it probably wouldn't be worth the cost (IMO).
Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 PM
STR33TPULSE
1st Gear Member

Welcome!!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
SWATSCHOOL
I ♥ Acer

streetpulse fix your sig right now...

Poor Mustang [&o]
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM