New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member with a new job

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:55 PM
05StangNut

Default New member with a new job

Hi all,

I have been a HUGE! fan of the new mustang ever since I first saw it. I knew this car would be the next one i buy, the only hurdle has been my job. Well, that has changed. I finally started a career oriented job and hope to save up enough money for a good down payment for a new or used '05 GT. My only requirnment (aside from it being a GT) is that it be black so i can add gold stripes--think GT350H. I am so unbelievably excited about this Mustang that it almost hurts that i can't buy one now[sm=smiley19.gif]. If all goes well i should be able to get one in time for winter here in the mid-west[sm=sigh.gif]. Now, if anyone could give me feedback on this next i'd appreciate it: i don't have a clue how to drive a stick. The question then would be, should I continue with that tradition and buy an auto, or should i take my current ride in and learn the hard way how to drive my manual home.

Well this seems like a good forum. I hope to hear from you all.

05StangNut
Old 04-30-2005, 10:37 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: New member with a new job

Go for the 5-spd regardless of your experience! Borrow a friends car if possible - its a quick and easy learning curve. Now racing, or "slamming through the gears" is a different story. Save that for a few months down the road after you've gotten familiar with it. My first car when I was 16 was an '82 GT 4spd manual, and I had never driven a stick. I drove my dad's car to work, he showed up with the Stang to trade me, and said good luck getting home! Well, I made it and never stalled once. However I do remember the rear tires chirping a lot the first couple times I let off the clutch

Don't sweat it - its pretty easy to learn. Just touch the gas to get the RPMS up to about 1.5K, gradually let off the clutch and apply gas to keep the rpms at 1.5K, until your rolling and the clutch is released. Taking off is the hardest part for a new stick driver. Shifting is pretty easy. Let off the gas/apply clutch simultaneously - shift gears - let off clutch and apply gas. The trick to smooth shifting is "matching the rpms". In otherwords - don't let off the gas before you press the clutch, and don't pop the clutch before you start easing back on the gas - or you get the common "rough shift". Thats not a problem, just annoying for your passenger [8D] Its all about feathering them together - this will all come with a few days experience!

Oh yeah, try to avoid any stop signs on inclines on that first journey . You'll want to get good at letting off the break and hitting the gas/feathering the clutch VERY QUICKLY for that one.

Enjoy!!

Old 04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, enjoy the info. and best of luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:22 PM
05StangNut

Hi Sowaxeman and Higgie,

Thanks for the welcome . Sowaxeman, thanks for the advice. I think the only thing that worries me is if i get one used I'll need to get a warranty in case I tear up something important while I'm screwing up during my first week.

Thanks again
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

hi welcome to the site. driving a stick is so much more fun than an automatic.
i learned in 30 minutes right out of high school. god was that a long time ago..lol
anyhow i wouldn't drive your stang in the winter if you can at all avoid it IMO. the salt is bad for cars. do you live where it snows alot?
it snows alot here in the winter.
good luck on your 05 purchase. and black is teh bada$$ color i do love it
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 PM
05StangNut

Hi babygurl,

I live in ST. Louis. All weather here is a crap shoot, but snow and salt are a guarantee. If i get a stang it will be my only ride; I won't have the cash for anything else. If i pay special attention to keeping it clean during the winter months will that help. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-01-2005, 12:40 PM
broke88
1st Gear Member

Yeah getthe 5 speed, the sound of the Gt with the 5 speed is Music to the ears. I know all about the weather in St L. and only thing we all could say is try to keep up the best you can on the cleaning in the snow/salt laden environment.

Here in AZ it's been pretty easy keeping things clean, plus I'll be going back to Ga next Feb so will be back in the other ttype of weather. Have a garage there so will be doing the wash in the rain and dry in the garage thing.

TerryG
Old 05-01-2005, 02:44 PM
05StangNut

Ok, ok, you all have brow beat me into getting a 5 speed. Now all i have to do is get the extra cash for a shrink; I'm gonna need one for all the nervous breakdowns i'll have from winter driving with a rearwheel drive stick[sm=smiley5.gif]
Old 05-01-2005, 02:46 PM
broke88
1st Gear Member

LOL Enjoy the stick

TerryG
Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I posted this somewhere else a few weeks ago, but I'm too lazy to search for it. If this going to be your only ride, then save up your sick/vacation days for those snowy days and go sledding - cause thats what a 300HP RWD Stang will be Now seriously, it will suck in the snow but it IS manageable (so long as we aren't talking about 6 inches of un-plowed road!)

Drive considerably slower than normal, and allow PLENTY of breaking distance as it will NOT stop fast in snow or ice! You will also find it easier to take off in 2nd gear in slick conditions. Remember that feathering of the clutch and gas thing I said? You'll just be doing a little bit more of that to get going.

And don't worry too much about the warranty - unless you are just the worlds WORST driver or something, I doubt you'll do any damage to the tranny with a few learners grinds.

And finally don't get too scared - it is a great car and it can be managed as an all year round driver. I drove my 85GT year round for about 4 years, and that included some horrendous Indiana winters.

Ok, long enough already!!! Enjoy