New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

hello, i m too excited!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

Default hello, i m too excited!!

Hello, i m so happy to be part of a legend and the great people i have met who owns them ponys
My neighbor actually have a 2000 mustang gt who got 185 000 miles on it which he have been driving hard since the beginning.
He kept it well maintained and i talk to him for 3 hours about his car, which i just love the look, durability and of course power of these cars.
So i found a 2002 gt for 9000$ with 50000 miles on it ,i drove it today and everything seems fine but you know how thoses small time dealership which deals with cash only are...
The carfax report looks clean and so low mileage is sweet.
I test drove it today and the motor was strong with the 5 speed tranny was shifting fine, suspensions was good since i went over train tracks and you know how that is[8D]
couple of questions.
Is this a great deal?
It s seems the belt was a little noisy and a small noise coming from the fuel system area or between the to headers like a hissing noise but not loud at all.
from that my questions is if there were a major problems with the engine like(blown pistons,crack head, or any things big) how would i know?
another problems i noticed is when i downshift to 2nd to a red light and want to start back in 1st i hear a clucking noise like it s trying to engage which i might think it s normal, just not use to it
I was going to get the cobra flywheel anyways so would that fix it ?( like my neighbor has and recommended)
the brakes seems to rumble but stops great,is it the abs and do these cars have abs?
the ckeck engine light is on too, what can that be?
So i hope i described my issues with first gt experience
can you tell me anything that i can look for while driving?
anyways i m going to go with my neighbor to test drive it with him so i m sure he will know excatly what s wrong.
I thank you for any help.
i m so excited ,this car is kick *** ,
watch out ,speeding tickets[8D]

Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hello, i m too excited!!

Ha! Welcome.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a lot of issues for 9grand tell the dealer to fix the problems and it might be a good deal or at least have a reputable shop check it out a few $$s spent b4 you buy can save a lot after the buy
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

do theses cars have abs brakes is that why it rumbles?
thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
8URVTECH
1st Gear Member

umm yes they have ABS. most new cars do. except kia's lol anyways, probably what happened is the person that had it before you went to wash it and sprayed cold water on the rotors. fords have a bad habit of warping their brake rotors when they get wet like that. and for your check engine light, run it by auto zone. your car is an OBD-2 computer. they read them for free. they can tell you. it might just need a tune up. and for your downshifting. i have no idea. describe it in more detail?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

Well ,it actually better then any others ponys i tested,
Since right now i got a ford ranger and it s so different i just noticed that it was so different but shifted very smooth thru the gears,
and i only drove it for about 10min so what i noticed it s when i downshift into second and stop hit the clutch to put in neutral and put it in 1st gear i heard a clunk which does not affect the driving at all but i still heard it like it catching the gear that s all
hopes that helps
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome, hope you find out whats wrong with it and get a buy!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tncruiser

sounds like a lot of issues for 9grand tell the dealer to fix the problems and it might be a good deal or at least have a reputable shop check it out a few $$s spent b4 you buy can save a lot after the buy
This is a good idea. I workin the business and deal with "issue" cars everyday. As a wholesaler they probably bought the car for 7K or less. Black Book (a wholesale book dealers use) is 9,200 low book. And they're selling for 7,5-9k on Manhiem Auctions (a national auction house). I guess the point that I'm making is that if they are willing to sell it for 9kthey probably bought it for a lot less.

Here are some general tips for 99-04 Mustang buying we use:
1 - Check the Lower radiator core support. A lot of Mustangs have this damage from people pulling forward too far when parking and hitting the marker
2 - Higher mileage 4.6L are known for valvetrain noise listen for a vale tick as an indicator
3 - You can feel if the car has been painted by feeling the body lines at the top of the hood and the door jams.. look for a tape line or feel for a rough edge - if its painted it could've been in an accident. (accidents aren't always reported tocarfax and autocheck)
4 - When you open the hood and trunk look to see if the bolts have been turned on thehindges. You can also look at the bolts that attach the fenders to check and see if they've been turned. Chances are if a body panel has been off than it has been in a major accident of some kind too.
5 - See if the dealer will let you take it to your own mech or have a mech come with you to check it out...

as for the dealer, be careful. I see these "cash only" dealers at the auction every week. They always buy the stuff with issues and frame damage then get them running using a lot of "no knock" and other cheap fixes and then sell them for a 2k profit. I'm not saying that all of them are like that, just saying the 40 or 50 that I see avery week are.

GoodLuck! I don't know if any of that info helps.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 AM
KeithB78
2nd Gear Member

Welcome aboard
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

well here the deal ,it s 9000 plus 700 for fees which i don t understand, he s actually taking off 2000 off for my 1998 ford ranger regular cab with 130000 miles so i m actually paying 7700 he s taking 600o cash and i pay the rest in 3months so i think that s pretty good.
tell me what you think?
For the second test drive i m going with my neighbor which has the same model for over 5 yrs with 185000miles and still running strong he had it from 0 miles.
I think i can definitely trust his judgment plus he s willing to help me out for anything ,spark plugs ,etc.....
the check engine light is on but i will take it to auto zone and see what it is,
he told me probably the coils or the Osensor which is nothing to fix
so i m taking all the precaution ,will see how it goes sunday

any other things you can tell me before i go will always help
but drive strong and the dhifting is pretty great for all the other mustangs i tested which shifted worse than a camaro LOL J K
wish me luck
thank kevin

Quick Reply: hello, i m too excited!!