New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new guy in NC-Charlotte area, looking for a new car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Default new guy in NC-Charlotte area, looking for a new car

so my buddy George (Nemesis) suggested I come check out the site since I am looking for a new car. He says there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who give good advice, so I figured I would check you guys out.

so I plan on, prolly around December or so, to get a new car. The Tiburon has done it's job, and now I was something more fun to drive, with more power, and something that I can mod. I just graduated with a new job, so I am not making a ton of money, but I'm not working for 15 bucks an hour either. I will save up some decent money for a down payment, so I am looking at about a 20k dollar budget. give or take a grand, depending on haggling abilities. Here is what I am looking at, in no particular order:

1. Pontiac Solstice GXP- these cars are just sexy to me. turbo 4 cyl, 260 hp and tq. with just a tune and exhaust, these guys are getting just over 300bhp. Great handling, and good gas mileage for something that makes decent power.

2. Mustang GT/GTO- I am kinda putting these two cars into the same category, bc they are close on many things. Great power, OK handling, not great gas mileage. I love muscle, and both of those cars would be great, esp with prices dropping on the GTO's lately. The decision on this one would come between which car feels better to me after a test drive, and what kind of deals I can find.

3. WRX/STi- Not much to say here. Fun cars, AWD, turbo. Only thing is finding 1 that hasn't been beat up with low miles and a decent price. Gas mileage is ok.

4. G35- These cars are just classy, and offer pretty good performance to boot. Decent gas mileage.

so with knowing what I am kind of looking at, what do you suggest? How much of a money difference in 1 year will it make to drive a car that gets 30mpg, to a car that gets 20mpg? If it gonna be that noticeable of a difference?

Any other cars I might have left out? Comments on ones I have listed?

Like I said, I won't be making a purchase for at least another 3-4 months, but I like doing my research ahead of time.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
MegaWatz
2nd Gear Member

The Solstice is a nice car... I've had problem with Pontiac in the past, and I don't want to go back to them.

Infiniti's are very classy cars, with some kick.

WRX - Good luck, they're hard to find with low mileage and a clean body...they use those cars in rallys. lol

Mustang - All around good car, great to add mods and whatnot, you'll have more choices of mods than you will the other cars. I love mine, and it's only a v6. I get decent MPGs with the style of the mustang body.

Welcome.

BTW, i live 30 minutes west of charlotte.

Last edited by MegaWatz; 09-01-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add on the BTW.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Good luck on your search. Check out the social group NC Mustangs.