New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Introducing 03stangr

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
03stangr

Default Introducing 03stangr

Hello all,
Hope everyone got to see that cool Koni race even though our stangs came up short - not the best strategy on someone's part who I won't mention. It was still a cool race though. So you know my favorite racing is Grand-Am road racing. My first trip around an oval though was on a Harley-Davidson Sportster. That was a blast. I'm your average gear head and tech support mgr. I like to spend time with my wife and son. Like to try and keep in shape.

I started driving go-carts and riding dirt bikes when I was very young thanks to my cool Dad who is still watching over me at this point. My Dad had a auto shop and so I got my hands on wrenches at about 12 and was working part-time paying taxes with a work permit at 14. My Dad was a Ford man and so am I. My first Stang was a 64 1/2 with a 'K' code 289. We built it to the hills and was balanced and blue printed. I tore it up of course and unfortunately. I'm 50 now so that was a long time ago when I was a not so smart teen.

The fastest Harley rode was a Vrod. Those puppies are fast right off the showroom floor ! I sold my last Harley to my brother because I wanted visiting rights - ha-ha! It was my favorite Harley of all I had which was a Heritage Classic. If you get a chance, I highly recommend riding one. Harley is having a demo ride period until June, so you can go into a participating dealer and ride any bike they have basically. Doesn't hurt if you pick a dealer where you know one of the guys there at the dealership or a buddy that knows someone there. I received an email from Harley-Davidon, so I'll make a safe assumption and say that most dealers should be participating.

I'm working on making a 3.8L V6 Stang fast right now. For those that aren't familiar with the possibilities, you can go to supersixmotorsports and/or moranav6racing, start out with a quality block (like the 01-04's do), and make up to about 400hp naturally aspired or up to about 550 with the right internals supporting a Supercharger or nitrous setup. If you're familiar with these cool people than ignore this section.

They also have short blocks, long blocks, stroker kits etc.. etc... Right now I need to have it dyno'd because I've done quite a bit to it. One of the upgrades I've done that may surprise some, which is worth about 20hp, is Harland Sharp 1.8:1 billet rockers. They fit under the stock valve covers and are extremely easy to put on. I recommend adding hardened push rods at the same time and having a hand held tuner though. Just take a pair of calipers etc., measure, order and install. Another cool item that supersixmotorsports has that's fairly new is a Intake/Adapter that will allow you to use a Supercharger from a 03-04 cobra. Very cool ! Just be sure to upgrade your valve springs or better yet, some stage 3 heads to move that air better as well. Then Headers, and a true 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/high flo cats to get the air out faster too. I went with the custom route and I've had a few tell me they thought I had a V8 under the hood. Has that mean, deep sound that we all like to hear.

This is my first V6 project and I'd have to say it's going much better than I thought it would. My first dyno told me I had more HP/torque just sitting at the flywheel that could be at the rear wheels, so I got a PI 9 1/2" billet stallion torque converter to add to the 4R70W tranny. The tech told me I'd see approx 40% gain after the torque converter change and I'd say that's pretty close. It also gained a wider power band which felt so much better. Then I knew I needed to use my tuner to adjust the valve body duties like torque modulation, shift firmness and shift times etc.. You don't have to go with a hand held tuner when it comes to tranny tunes if you'd rather just get a shift kit/valve body etc...especially if you have an AOD. I just happen to have a AODEW/4R70W and since I already had the tuner - why not, right. Man that thing shifted better after that. I also chose 3.73 gears and traclok of course. Whew!, sure has better acceleration now.

I have no idea what's going on number speaking now, so that's why I said I need to visit the Dyno again. That will really tell me what rpm shift points to go with. In closing, I'll just say that these little OHV V6 engines can be made to go quite well and sound better than I thought it would.
over and out Stang folks !

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome to Mustangforums!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator