New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

03 Cobra Owner Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 PM
ecal533

Default 03 Cobra Owner Here

I have visited the site numerous times but never gave out info on my history with the mustang.

I graduated back in 1985 and became interested in the 5.0 cars in about 87. A buddie has a black 84GT 5-speed and let me drive it. It was my first experience with the crisp feel of the throttle, the torque of shifting through the gears and the solid stance and ride that these first real GT's had. Later another friend bought an 86GT, wht with auto trans. It also was quick and a bit more refined. Being the first fuel injected stang gave it a differant feel as well.
So the search was on. I had a limited budget and a taste for a 5.0 car. I looked everywhere locally and found nothing untill I drove behind a Ford Dealer one evening and saw a red w/ black below the molding, 79 foxbody (first year) with the famed 5.0 badge on the side. It had a red interior, aftermarket sunroof and an automatic C4 tranny. I wasn't happy about the A/T but the car was perfect. Turned out it was owned by one of the sales people and not even for sale. He never saw me coming though and I talked him into selling this car for $2500 bucks. It also has a set of Cragar SST rims and had only 23k miles on it.
I finally had one. I took it home and shined it up and took it out for the first night. My towm was a small town but cruisin in your car was big. I previously had a Ford Futura with a 6 banger so I was feeling pretty good with the new ride. Some time pasted and before I knew it winter had arrived. This was my only car. One day during a snow storm I was going to see a friend and while attempting to get up a long steep hill. I was spinning the wheels for about 25 minutes. A couple days later a rod was knocking. I threw a bearing. The motor was toast so for about 3 months I walked to work. Lucky it was close. Once I had saved some money it was on for the little 5.0 motor. This was the first time I ever did major work on a car. I was great at shocks and brakes but never messed with a motor. That didn't stop me though. I picked up a reman .30 over short block which bach then was just coming on the scene. It cost a mere $300 and came complete with TRW pistons, new crank and cam. Well, I knew I needed to pump this motor up if I was going to smoke my buddies. The Crank and Pistons stayed but I added a Edelbrock cam and intake package, Holly Carb, a set of headman longtube headers and a beefed up distributor. The tranny also got and aggressive shift kit which was also rather new to the street. I also got rid of the 2.72 ring gear for a ...I believe it was a 3.42 posi. I topped off the package with set of glass packs (Cherry Bombs) and a set of GT polished tailpipes. No Cats. It was 87.

This was a whole new car. It went from a tired 150hp to about 300hp. The exaust note was awesome and when that car shifted into second and barked those SST's there was nothing better. Later the car got a GT Hood Scoop which we made functional, a GT spoiler and a wrap around front valance where we installed 4 evenly spaced driving lights. Again..driving lights were the rage back then. Now your moms car has them.. Coming down the road at night, with all 4 driving lights and the 4 factory headlights made this car seem like it was from another planet. Everyone in the town knew this car. Those were the good ole days.
Later I went to school and had to sell it which didn't sit well. I didn't want to see someone else driving it. Turns out I sold to a 16 year old kid. His dad had haggled about the price on the title in regards to the tax he would be paying so the car sat in their yard for a week untill we worked it out. His kid was known for being a spoiled little ***** too. Ends up, the kid took the car out for the first time and totale it in two hours. Almost got his friend killed too. There wasn't a straight panel on the car. The passengers side was pushed into the center on the car. I heard the motor ended up in a truck.
Deep down I was glad it would never be on the road because I just couldn't stand to see someone behind the wheel.

Since then I have had the following Stangs. (All red too)

92 GT
97 GT
04 MachI
91 GT

Which bring us to now. 2 years ago I purchased a 2003 Cobra. It is Sonic Blue which is a departure from the 5 Red Stangs I have owned.

The 03 is equipped with the following gadgets:
Kenne Bell S/C with Big Air Mass Air and Boost a pump.
JLT CAI
Bussani full exaust
6 Speed with Center Force Clutch and Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel
Metco Quick Change Crank Pulley
Boost, Fuel, Temp, Trans Temp and Air Fuel Gauges
IRS with 4.10 Ford Racing / Cast Iron Housing / Girdle / Maximum Motorsport Bushings, connecting links and adjustable sway bar links

Car was tuned with an SCT tuner and dynoed at 538HP to rear wheels making 14 lbs of boost. I have the 3.5 pulley installed so more boost is there if we need it.

This car is a rocket and a blast to drive. Best stang I ever owned. Tonite I just installed Sequential Tail light hardware to give the rear a unique attribute.

My next project is a 90 to 93 Fox body with a 03,04 cobra driveline. It will look nice parked next to the Blue beast.

Thanks for reading my babbling.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

welcome, and I want your IRS and engine for a project Im doing lol
Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Welcome to Mustangforums!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Now that we've read all about it, time to post pics of the Cobra!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome to Mustangforums.com!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

WELCOME BACK TO MF'S
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
07q335
4th Gear Member

welcome
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
BlackDeath3

Default Welcome!

Welcome ecal533! Heartbreaking, what happened to that 79 GT. That brat didn't deserve a car as beautiful as that, I'm sure. And apparently he couldn't handle it either. But I understand that in a way, it made you feel better. Anyway, I wish that I could have had a chance to experience all the Stangs that you have owned. Welcome to MF!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! Post a few pics & check ot the SVT section!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM
G MOB
1st Gear Member

happy to have you here "babbling" welcome

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra Owner Here