New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old schooler to new school

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
A320PYLT

Default Old schooler to new school

The world has changed. Back when I was running mustang GT's on the streets in the city where they were made, we didnt have forums like this. I used to street race in Motown in the in the late 80's, yeah I KNOW very dangerous but hey I was young then and didnt have kids. I ran a 1985 GT with holley dual feed carb, true dual ex, 3:55 gear on Micky Thomson's . I really thought I was doing something back then too:>) I loved that ride. Never dirty except winter and only then a short while. I had kids and got married, went to school so I had to give up my stang. I never really thought much about it since I go fast now flying jets for an airline.

Two months ago my middle son now 21 brings his buddy by with his new purchase. 1987 fox body that sounds good but I could tell it was tired. Well as you could imagine it brought back memories. Now I see GT's everyday and it does nothing but the lifting of that hood and questions from an eager new GT owner and bam I was hooked. I started thinking about the old days and then it just grew from there. I decided that I WAS going to purchase a 1998 GT and replace the motor and trans with a new 4.6 supercharged. I Then thought why not a 2003 instead. Now back in the day it was tough for me to afford parts as a young kid but now in my 40's EARLY 40'S TOO!!!!!!!! I can afford to play now. I figured with the exception of computer swap the motor should be plug and play from a 4.6GT to basically a COBRA motor and tranny. I then see the 5.4L GT500 motor and my mouth really starts watering! I am not too sure the swap to this motor would be as simple.

I am ready to really get started but dont want to have to do a bunch of fab work to make it work, does that make sense?? Well thats only one problem the other which is much much bigger is telling the wife that her car now has to sit outside the garage as I will need two of the 3 bays and my Explorer aint sitting out there:>)

A320

Last edited by A320PYLT; 08-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome to Mustangforums!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Welcome to MF! It sounds like your engine swap will be a fun one. Have you thought about just buying a Cobra so you didn't have to do all that work? Are you planning on racing your stang?

Either way glad you joined and this hobby can be VERY addicting, as you very well know already
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 AM
A320PYLT

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Welcome to MF! It sounds like your engine swap will be a fun one. Have you thought about just buying a Cobra so you didn't have to do all that work? Are you planning on racing your stang?

Either way glad you joined and this hobby can be VERY addicting, as you very well know already
Yeah I could do that but that takes the fun out of getting my tools and using them for something more than fixing the washing machine. I really want that 5.4 L GT 500 motor and the price is not too bad but I'm really not too sure its just plug and play like the cobra motor...

The plan for the car is mostly the track and Mustang shows
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
GTpony08
1st Gear Member

Wow sounds like an awesome project! Wish I was mechanically savy to do stuff like that.... Welcome to the Forum!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM
A320PYLT

Originally Posted by GTpony08
Wow sounds like an awesome project! Wish I was mechanically savy to do stuff like that.... Welcome to the Forum!
There is history there!! This got started some 23yrs ago when the only thing I could fix was a wiper blade! I burned up the clutch in my GT and needed to get it fixed. Well now remember I had just about enough to pay for gas after note and ins was paid. The bill on that fix was $400 which was about $300 more than I had. I figured that $100 to fix a clutch was more than enough seeing as how the part was only 40 bucks THEN!! Well when the bill came I was shocked right out of my socks. I didnt have it and it was as simple as that. I had a nice sony stereo and EQ that the manager wanted so I traded. I had a clutch but no sounds!!

NEVER AGAIN I SAID!! So I bought a chilton manual and began learning. Now I used to street race for money so you can guess it wasnt that long before the clutch was slipping again and this time it was dead of winter. I broke out the bullet heater the tools and a broken broom handle to line up the clutch. In the freezing cold I did the job myself. It took hours because I had to keep ducking in the house for warmth but I got her done. Since then I have yanked motors pullled rear ends, front suspension work you name it I have done it. I have a great set of craftsman tools and compressor for air for the new tools.

Oh BTW once the folks on your street see you working on your ride they seem to want you to do their work, I just dont have that kind of time MOST of the time...

A320PYLT

Last edited by A320PYLT; 08-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
A320PYLT

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome to the site.

A320PYLT
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
1bad65
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site.

Quick Reply: Old schooler to new school