New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
mikefromtx

Default New Member from Texas

I have long been an admirer of the Mustang, and am now considering parting with my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 and 2001 Impala in order to reduce my vehicle herd and have something FUN to drive instead of a couple of vehicles that are strictly utilitiarian. Am parting with a couple of REAL horses, so don't need the truck any longer, and am considering ownership of another kind of horse.

Texas resident, but military stationed in SC.

I am mostly interested in owning a '91-'93 Mustang GT... or preferably a Cobra. A '91 would be perfect, though not sure if they had the Cobra back then. '91 is the year I graduated high school, and would fit me well as I move into my mid-life crisis. : -)

Was wondering what I should look for with one of these older vehicles. Any chance of finding a good deal on one that is mostly stock, has good interior and paint, etc.? Hoping this board can help me find enthusiasts with access to a potential match... though I have to ditch the other 2 vehicles before buying.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I had a 93 LX 5.0L and it was awesome.....you might consider a notchback or hatchback and mod the hell out of it!....welcome to the forum and whatever your decision I am sure you will be happy. I believe that 93 was the first yr of the Cobra (after a long hiatus) and they are going to be expensive in great condition......just food for thought

Last edited by mygt500; 08-26-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Welcome to MF! The few fox bodies that I see that are in good condition they tend to seem like they are on the high side. Good luck with finding your mid life crisis car
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome to Mustangforms!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Welcome!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ...Love Fox's!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Welcome to MF...FOX-BODYS RULE!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
mikefromtx

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Welcome to MF...FOX-BODYS RULE!
Thanks, all. On a lark today, I went out to test drive some new cars.

Not impressed with the 2010 GT I test drove for some reason... probably due to the fact the salesman was riding with me and would not let me wring the car out. Accidentally barked the tires in 2nd and he told me to back off. As a 36 year old adult, not being allowed to truly get the feel of the car truly came as a surprise. I can understand his end of the situation, though. The car seems to need RPMs to make hasty acceleration. I recall the 5.0 as seemingly having more driveability/wider torque band, but have not put much time in either car.

Headed over the Nissan dealership and test drove a new 370Z. Performance seemed better than the Mustang, and build quality was much better. BUT the price was higher and the 370Z is a two seater. Not really practical (I have three children).

And I really want a Mustang... and something new probably isn't truly in the cards... Test drive today seems to lend credence to maybe getting something with a 5.0 and modding.

SO... thank you again for the welcomes. I am going to lay low here for awhile and see if I can get my hands on a plain old '93ish LX or GT, and mod as finances allow. It probably makes the most sense to try to start out with something basic that has been very well kept, and learn/mod from there.

Mike
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

welcome to the team

Quick Reply: New Member from Texas