New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

So this is where the cool Mustang folks hang out - great! Maybe you can help me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
sportsguy

Default So this is where the cool Mustang folks hang out - great! Maybe you can help me.

Name: Duane
Transport: 2006 Jetta, 2009 FJR1300
WANT: a Mustang
NEED: a Mustang
Gonna go get: a Mustang

Alright, this is my second attempt to post this, as the first try saw me booted out and all of the post lost.

I registered here a long time ago, whiel researching the purchase of a Mustang, but wasn't really active. That'll change if I bring home a convertible this weekend.

I'm hoping folks here might help me gain some knowledge to make an informed decision. Seems I may be slightly stuck on the V6 v V8 dilemma. Here's the facts:

Use: commuting and weekend fun
Use: occasional towing if the FJR needs to go into the garage for work I can't manage

Now, I'm looking at automatics simply because the traffic in and around Seattle sucks.

On the deck I currently have the following two examples...

1 - 2003 GT convertible, 48,xxx - $9800 obo
2 - 2006 V6 convertible, 56,xxx - $9988 obo

I will confess I like the lines of the '06 better. I'll also confess I love the sound of the V8 engine.

I'm capping my hunt at $10k so I can write a check and drive off. By doign this, fuel economy factors in less for me because I don't have a car payment, so spending more on fuel is OK in the cashing scheme of things.

In reality, I KNOW the V6 is enough grunt for my immediate needs, and I KNOW I'll play with the suspension, brakes and engine over time, too. Besides, when I want speed thrills, the 145 hp in the FJR never fail to deliver.

OK, back to the discussion point - which one do I buy?

Now, I don't expect anyone to make this decision for me. Rather, I'm hoping to hear from folks sharing their experiences. That type of feedback can help me learn and therefore make a more informed decision.

I fully expect the '06 to be more refined, too. In fact, I did have some exposure to an '06 once in Arizona. I had some time to kill waiting for a flight, so I rented a Mustang for the afternoon and went for a ride in the desert! It was awesome!

Me and the '06...

Posing...

Heck, I'll even claim to have seen REAL Mustangs while there, thoguh I didn't check their lineage...

The towee... aka The Black Barge

Why I'm buying...

So that's my intro - sharing some history with the marque and asking a question. Other than that, all I've got to offer is Happy Holidays to everyone!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

How about looking for a 2005 GT. I would think in your neck of the woods you should be able to find one close to the price you want. What is your cap on mileage?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:18 PM
sportsguy

Originally Posted by wilkinda
How about looking for a 2005 GT. I would think in your neck of the woods you should be able to find one close to the price you want. What is your cap on mileage?
Excellent question... top end would be around 60,000 miles for me.

Sadly, the 2006 convertible I reference above has been sold, so that's out.

Laughably, my insurance company just got back to me with the quote on the V6 model, too. $18/year less than the V8 models...LOL So THAT doesn't help me decide anything...

I'm also not seeing any 2005 GT's for sale here now. Maybe one will pop up come Saturday.

There is a gent down near Walla Walla with 2003 Mach 1 (54000 miles at $13750) that caught my eye last week, but I've lowered my price cap so that's out now.

I may expand my search range to 200 miles or so form here and see what I see...
Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

hey i am right with you in WA, i work near greenlake, i have an 08 v6 and love it, i am not saying that v8 arent cool either but i am just saying that due to traffic and driving conditions a v6 automatic was perfect for me, the v8's are cool to, but to be totally honest i havent even taken my car past 80mph so i said to myself where the heck do i need to go that fast? so i went with the v6, if you are just commuting and puttering to and from work get a v6 better gas milage and more practical, but if you want to go racing through the crowded streets of seattle/kirkland and hit a kid or car.... get a v8, there is no need for that much power in such a crowded place, now if we lived in yakima it would be different... wide open roads without the police every 10 miles. Sure the v8 is bigger engine wise 4.6 vs. 4.0, but like i said i am not racing or anything so there is no need for the extra cost just for .6 litters more of an engine.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

welcome
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ...+1, GL
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
alkemist

Welcome to MF!

IMO, the s197 '05-'09 are the best looking right now, but it may be difficult to find a GT $10k or under in that year range. You may possibly find a v6 auto but the mileage will be higher. A good friend of mine recommended v8 and I never regretted it. It is my only and primary car so I drive it to work, go out, etc. I live in Maryland, DC metro area and I went with auto also. Didn't want to deal with the traffic with shift.

It all depends on what your situation is, but it seems like you have a set limit, which is understandable. Just need to consider what mods you will be doing and when. You may just want to go GT out of the box if it's going to be that extensive.

Post some pics when you do pick one up

Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Welcome and GL
Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome

Quick Reply: So this is where the cool Mustang folks hang out - great! Maybe you can help me.