New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to your forum

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Default New to your forum

Hello,

First let me say I have been into cars, well let me correct that. Obsessed with cars since I was 15. (I am 25 now) I have been around them pretty much my whole life, as my father has been a GM tech since he was in his early 20's and he's now 65. Seen about any muscle car there is out there in our garage at some point. I however did not follow the ways of the Domestic Muscle.

At a young and impressionable age a friend of mine obtained a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi, all wheel drive 5 speed. I liked this car but knew little about it at the time (I was 15-16). But we started doing research on these cars and found out they actually had a hell of a lot of potential. So long story short, his clutch went out, I bought the car, put a knew ACT 2100 clutch and pressure plate in the car and drove it for a year or two before selling it back to him. But the problem was, I was selling it back to him, because I had found my own 1990 Eagle Talon TSi that had much less mileage (75,000 vs 190,000). It was confirmed, the DSM bug had bitten me, and HARD!

Through research and about a decade of experience wrenching. I learned a LOT about how to do things the right way, with those cars. By the way I wont get into any mud slinging here nor do I want any in my thread.

I am currently stationed in Germany and have been thinking about the next car, as the DSM is nearly complete. (new paint, nice interior, and suspension and drive train mods are nearly finished etc.) First I was thinking RX-7 (FD3S) with a LS2 drive train. But thats a lot more wrenching and money, although it would be bad ***. A friend of mine has one of these with the Wankel still in it, and I love it (hate the engine though). Then I thought about dumping the money into the DSM and making it into a monster instead of my vision of what it should have been from the factory. But I didn't like that idea, I drive it on the street to much (although it's far from street legal...yet quiet LOL) Thought about buying another DSM, nah, and now that I am in Germany, I do WANT a Evo VI. But it would be a major PITA to get one back state side as it's not on the importation list. (Since they were never built for the states) Theres loop holes and ways to do it, but it's a lot of trouble for a car with a very similar drivetraine just in a better chaise. And honestly, i'm getting a little bored with AWD.

Yes AWD is awesome for launching on the street. And setup correctly the cars handle pretty damn well IMO. There light and all wheel drive what do you expect lol. So they have a lot going for them. If restored well and modified right. However I have been wanting a RWD car for a while. And after a decade of wrenching in all honesty. I want something that I don't have to work on after I buy it. So I am STRONGLY considering the 2011+ Mustang GT.

This is why I am here. I'd like to ask a few questions but this is a intro thread so I will save that for another one. I will also say this however and try not to let it rub you the wrong way. Until the 2011 Mustang, I had no interest in them....but from what I have read and seen, that thing is actually pretty bad ***. And a steal for the projected price.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome.. I was also staioned in Germany (Mannheim). 2011 sounds like a good choice.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

I'm in Baumholder.

I'm still paying off the wifes car, but once thats paid off I then I think i'm going to be in the market for one. Still have to figure out a few things however since the Army only pays to ship one car. So i'm not sure if I want to try to get one while I am here or wait until I am back in the states. I have to look into it further.

Right now I have a few concerns I need more info on. Like how it stacks up agents some other cars in the real world. I will say this, Ford had a event at Fort Sill where they had a small auto X course setup and I got to drive a 2010 GT w/track pack around it. It performed much better than I had expected it to. I was really expecting it to just feel like a fat pig laying over in the corners. I could tell it was heavier than my DSM for sure but it did handle MUCH better than I had expected it to. I don't have any idea how a normal GT would have been or how the 2011 compares to the 2010....other than the 2011 has the 5.0 and is supposed to better in about every way LOL.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Ripper Alpha
1st Gear Member

Sorry I am getting used to this forum, I didn't think about this until after I had posted, and just noticed theres not an edit option.

Anyone know where I can find detailed specs on the 2011 GT? Everywhere I have looked so far, I can't find the exact weight, weight distribution, tire specs etc. I'm most concerned about this area. As I love the corners and it's not really what these cars are known for. BUT after reading about the 2011 GT out slaloming a Miata and M3 in a Motor Trend mag, as well as out breaking those two cars. I was very impressed by this, as I think the M3 is the bench mark that most cars are judged by. And to out slalom a Miata, a light short wheel based car pretty much meant for the corners. Well between all that and what I posted above. It has changed my opinion of the Mustang, as well the Mustang has changed. And doesn't look nearly as cheap as it did when Ford came out with the first retro styled ones in what 05-06? OMG those interiors looked cheap as, well a throw away kia? They and Ford have come a LONG way.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ... get the '11!!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 AM
chriswayne

Hello! Welcome to the forum.I am too new and having a great time.Hope you are also finding this place nice.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Welcome!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
MadBeau

Welcome! Nice first post.

Search this Thread