New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to domestics

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
thor'svr4

Default New to domestics

Ok well my names Paul and currently I have a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, please don’t flame me to bad for the import lol. I figured I would join up for a few reasons. A guy my dad works with has a procharged fox body and a friend of mine recently bought a black 88 fastback with a 347 stroker and world class transmission (could be wrong on the trans). I was impressed with how cheep mustangs are to mod but don’t have very much ‘mustang specific’ info. Almost all my car knowledge is specific to my 3000gt, or atleast fuel injected turbocharged cars. Whenever I am at a local ‘spot’ on a Friday night I always try to learn a little about fox bodies from the owners but I’m sure that 99% of people are full of BS and have no idea what there talking about. I would really like to just lurk around on this forum and try to learn the truth about the 5.0’s. for example I’ve heard horror stories about the stock block and 500+rwhp. The stock trans and 350+rwtq. And many other weak links in the platform. BUT ive also seen the price of performance parts and cant believe how affordable this platform is. don’t get me wrong, I don’t plan on buying a fox any time soon, if at all. But it never hurts to learn about a car as popular as the 5.0 and maybe down the road i'll decide if it would be easier to continue building my car or a 5.0.

So that’s my story, I pretty much just want to read a bunch of threads, check out the FAQ section (if you have one) and try to learn a bit about the platform, what can block should be used for 500+ hp, what venders make quality products, the price to build a boosted 5.0, ect.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
sn95 guy

. welcome... im new too but mines boosted if you have any questions..
Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 PM
95Five-ohh
1st Gear Member

How much HP are you making with your turboed 95?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
sn95 guy

not sure no number yet..but i can tell you 315's are even scary to drive on... i let into it at all its stupid scary..if i had to guess mid 400's on 12psi jut trying to to split the block and get a dyno tune, its just street tuned on quarterhorse.. afr's are still very conservative at 11.4 at WOT and 16* of timing..plugs are still pretty clean and no signs of leaning out,high egt's or detonation..
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
95Five-ohh
1st Gear Member

Damn I thought the stock 302 was only capable of about 4-500 HP, but I don't know that much about the 5.0's yet, plus you do have the heads and intake ported. Your running 315's all the way around? Those look like 275 or 285's...and sorry I'm pretty new to Mustangs so what does WOT mean? haha
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM
thor'svr4

WOT = Wide Open Throttle.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 AM
thor'svr4

i hate to double post but since im not alowed to edit my post i dont really have any other choice. here is what i found on the 5.0L stregnth.

Originally Posted by vristang
Background Info-
The major disadvantage of the 302 is its lack of strength at high power levels. Most will agree that at ~500hp the factory 302 block will try to split in half. For many the solution to this is an aftermarket 302 block.
while sn95guy is pushing mid 400's I’m assuming he has done a lot of research and knows the 302's breaking point and prob has enough 'play room' where he can lean out his tune, add some timing, and still be just under the breaking point.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll find most of your answers

your best bet when building a fox is to buy a body and buy the block and go from there, the stock engine/trans won't get you those kinds of numbers... they weren't built to

goodluck
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 AM
95Five-ohh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thor'svr4
i hate to double post but since im not alowed to edit my post i dont really have any other choice. here is what i found on the 5.0L stregnth.

while sn95guy is pushing mid 400's I’m assuming he has done a lot of research and knows the 302's breaking point and prob has enough 'play room' where he can lean out his tune, add some timing, and still be just under the breaking point.
Don't get me wrong mid 400's is good power out of the stock motor, just didn't know they were capable of that kind of power. And yes I'm sure he knows enough to build the motor right to be able to handle the kind of power that the motor n drivetrain can handle! Thanks for the info guys and welcome btw thor!

Quick Reply: New to domestics