New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Noob Here, Hi everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
ninjamustang

Originally Posted by cbreze
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a friendly and informative place to learn about all the pluses + perks as well as any possible negatives of mustang ownership.
Yeah, thats correct, I don't own one yet, but hope to very soon. As much bread as one has to put out for one of these I just want to try and get my ducks kinda lined up and become as informed as possible.
Anyway, just wanted to intro myself a little, Name's Jim, but my user handle is "cbreze" I have hung out and been a good contributor on alot of forums for many years. I'm noob here, but here to learn about the best mustang to get. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. These cars are a big investment. I want to make an informed decision. Thanks.
Hi noobie, (you said so)

I have a Mustang V6 2007, all black, black cloth seat too... I hate leather. Anyway, it's the least expensive of all Mustang. I'm thinking about the 50K 2011 Shelby GT500 but I will get in after I get bored of my pony which don't know when. I could have bought the GT 07 but that would be hard to drive in the winter. So bottom line, get a V6 and you'll enjoy all year round. Then buy the 2011 GT500 say 5 years from now it should be 30K by then? I bought my Mustang V6 2007 for 12K at 16,000 miles a year ago. Back in 2007, it was 20K for the base model. So I'm willing to bet the 2011 GT500 will be $30K at 25K miles in 2016.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbreze
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a friendly and informative place to learn about all the pluses + perks as well as any possible negatives of mustang ownership.
Welcome! If you do get a new Mustang, you'd be happy with either the 5.0 or the 3.7. I opted to get a 2011 V6 Premium Automatic, and don't regret it. I don't race, and in the off-chance I do, it won't be serious.

Negatives that I've found to this V6 Premium Mustang are:
  • Rear seating - While usable (and surprisingly comfortable ONCE IN PLACE), getting back there can be a chore. And once there, there are no cup-holders, so stick to resealable bottles.
  • Trunk lid - While the space in the trunk is decent, the actual opening leaves a lot to be desired. In comparison, my 2010 Mazda 3s has a huge opening and a huge trunk.
  • No spare tire on the V6 models - Pretty self explanatory. Instead, where the spare would go, there is a tire inflation and sealant kit. Not as big of a deal for me, because the only place that I would ever use a spare tire would be in the case of a blowout, but I'm a AAA member, so I'm not very worried. No spare tire, though, does give you more storage space. I'm going to line it with my tool box and the rest of the space with bags of kitty litter, for winter-time rear-end weight (and to pour for traction, if needed).
As for pros, there are too many too many to name, but here are my favorites (options may not be available on non-premium models):
  • Seating - Very, very comfortable leather seats with the premium package. I could sleep in the car and be very comfortable.
  • Shaker 500 system - I really like this audio system. I've found that keeping bass on +1 and treble on +5 works great for me, though each has their own tastes. The Microsoft Sync is an amazing thing, as is the USB input. It is even compatible with my iPod Touch 4g. I can browse artists, albums, playlists, all without touching my iPod. And it's in a place where I can just plug the iPod up, and leave it out of sight.
  • Power and speed - This 3.7 engine is amazing, and though mine has the standard 2.73 rear axle, it still has amazing performance. As AMChrisRose posted in this thread (https://mustangforums.com/forum/3-7l...k-results.html), a 14.2s quarter mile is attainable with a 2.73 automatic v6. And with a better launch, there is no reason that an even 14s quarter-mile time can't be attained.
  • Economy - The economy is staggering. Driving two hours home from Evansville, IN (with Kentucky back roads, lots of hills and curves), with a light foot I still had an average of 33.1 mpg. That is in the same setup as that quarter-mile run posted by AMChrisRose.
  • Handling - The handling is so nimble, it's hard to believe that it's a Mustang!
  • Standard Limited Slip Differential
  • Great fit and finish in premium package
If you decide on the V6, I do not think you'll be disappointed. I would really recommend the premium package, though.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
cbreze

Thanks zulu for all the comments. The pros/cons you list are just the sort of thing a prospective buyer like me needs to see. I was on the car lot again today and noticed the 4.7 v8 2010 models. About a 10k savings in cash. I will be investigating that possibility as well. Lots of options anyway. I need to get something I can live with financially. They've been using the 4.7 for several years so perhaps it has a better track record. Not sure about the 5.0 since it is new this year, might be better to debug things first. That 5.0 sure has a nice growl to it tho. I wish I would have tried the 4.7 today as well.
It sounds like your very happy with your decision to get the v6 w/premium. How do you like the auto tranny? Is it pretty smooth? I'm thinking of going auto which will be a first for me.
Side note: was wondering if anyone here has a sunroof installed. A salesman told me it was about $1200 or so for a really nice one(3rd party installed). I thought it might be nice as an alternative to the rag top.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

It's been really smooth to me. Of course, it would be noticeably smoother with the 3.31 rear axle gears, but as the American Muscle test has shown, it isn't required to get good speeds. They got only a half-second difference in the quarter-mile between the automatic 2.73 v6, and Motor Trend's 13.7 test with the manual with performance pack. And the AM test was from idle, so we're looking at probably 14s with a better launch.

It is definitely not going to be as fun as a manual, but two weeks ago I would've been in trouble if I had chosen to get the manual. I ended up with bursitis in my right shoulder, and there would have been now way I could have made it home from my apartment to recover had it have been a manual.

I've found this new 6-speed automatic transmission to be very smooth, much more responsive than other automatics, and efficient, all in one. Still, though, it's not for everybody, so I would really suggest that you test-drive one.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome