New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

LeeS from SoFla

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:40 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Default LeeS from SoFla

Not my 1st post here but thought I'd post this up.
Lee

Finally got some mods done to 4072
After 2+ years of Bullitt ownership, I had finally collected a small stockpile of bolt-ons- some new, some used- including a new CAI (a 102mm from UPR,) a used set of Steeda underdrive-pulleys, a nicely made set of homemade delete plates (courtesy of one of the members on this site & my reason for joining this site!) & lastly, a new SCT tuner pre-programmed w/a tune for 87 & 93 octane by the owner @ UPR. I already had a set of used Steeda mufflers on the car so it was "go time;" off to see Jeff @ NitroStang Racing in Margate, FL.

The install went pretty easily, taking about 2.5 hours in the SoFla heat & humidity. Poor Jeff was dripping sweat! Parts came off or out & new/used ones went on. I asked Jeff to download the 93 tune & all went well. A short test drive, nothing broke, I paid the man for his time, skill & efforts & off I went.

Unfortunately, the freakin' summer SoFla rainy season had another notion about me trying out all my Bullitt's newfound power. I really didn't/couldn't get on it (much) to check it out; on the turnpike entrance ramp, I goosed it twice & was rewarded w/a lot of detonation noise. Oops. I backed off & am hoping it was just the remainder of the regular gas left in the tank & working its way thru the system. I'll go easy on the gal for a bit.

There is a definite improvement in performance & feel; the throttle is far more responsive- no more soft response or lag time now when I push on the pedal. Roll-on power seems increased also. From the seat of the pants, there appears to be more power @ every RPM; this is exactly what I was going for- power for increased drivability, not necessarily maximum horsepower. The newfound power is not overwhelming but the engine just "feels" stronger, & there's more character to the available power. And cruising home @ just above the posted speed limit, the car was registering almost 27 mpg! Hoohah!

There's a lot more intake noise & the decel burble is much louder & more consistent than before. Too lean or too rich? I dunno. (My wife already commented the Bullitt was making more noise!) Either way, it'll have to wait until I can scrounge my next pile of $$ to get it tuned properly by the nice folks @ TORQ.

I'm also more atuned to some other new noises coming from various spots. I'm assuming it's just parts re-settling a bit from all the nuts & bolts removed/replaced.

Unless I capture a leprechaun or stumble into a bank robber's lost $$ bag, this is probably the only engine performance mods I'll do- no headers, cams, s/c or anything of the like for my "daily-driver" Bullitt. Overall, I'm not disappointed & the bolt-on mods accomplished most of my engine performance goals in reasonable fashion @ reasonable cost. I wish the weather had cooperated a bit more so I could've given her a go & seen what transpired. Guess that'll have to wait.

I'm a lurker more than a poster but glad to be a member on the site!
Lee
Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ....any pics?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Nah, I'm not a pic guy. Besides, w/all the rain we've had here in SoFla the last few weeks, my car is d-i-r-t-y. I'm embarrassed for it.

Jeff/the owner of NitroStang Racing, installed the parts & posted pics here: http://www.stangsofsouthflorida.com/...979#post324979
Lee
Old 07-02-2011, 08:03 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member