New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Trying to buy a Mustang, REALLY, I am! ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 AM
timothybh

Default Trying to buy a Mustang, REALLY, I am! ...

... But the dealers are not helping! So disappointed.

Hi, this is my first post here. Looking to get a 2012 V6 Premium Coupe, likely Red Candy or Kona Blue with Saddle Leather. Depends what's available.

So what's the typical dealer experience suppose to be like when stopping in the first time?

My events as follows:
(warning, the following could be a boring read, but I had to let it out):

-----1: Time to check a Mustang in person for the first time at the local Ford dealer. I meet a salesman Ford introduced me to through e-mail and phone after submitting a request for current local promotions. The visit was pointless. Had hoped to get quotes, learn first hand about the 2012 Mustang, etc.

I have him open a car to explore the interior. He was silent, too silent. I had to start small talk and point out one random feature to learn about. But then it got silent again, just awkward as I poke around. I mentioned how I never test drove one yet, hinting, but he never offered. (Looking at simple V6 Premiums). Checked 2 more to look at interior colors.

Time to talk basic numbers, especially a custom build (they only had black and silver). He first uses an inventory search to locate Mustangs with the color I want. Great, there are some near by. Shows invoice etc, but the options were too hidden even for him to clearly list to me.

Oh well, I asked if he could print the massive list for me to review later, he says lets build one instead. I'm like great, I'll find out what they can offer with their sale and incentives. Spoke too soon, he goes to the public Ford site to build it. I did that a thousand times. And how would he give me a real quote with their invoice sale using a site that only gives MSRP? He does by comparing and guessing with invoices from the near by inventory. I ask about incentives, which he had to leave to learn, comes back to mention $500. Was that a dealer incentive or ford, were there any financing incentives, I still don't know.

I left more confused and unsure about buying a Mustang than I ever thought I would. Why was I ever worried about being convinced to buy right then and there by slick salesman.

----2: Today, stopped at another dealer just out of town. Ford said they had a Kona Blue V6 Premium instock. Turns out it hasn't arrived, along with another. To top that, this large dealer only could send one person out of financing to meet me, they were short staffed he says. Which meant they had no one to let me test drive the car, seriously? He was still nice and helpful with what he could answer.

He did mention they always sell at invoice, subtract $600 or so from the dealer hold-back, then subtract current incentives, etc. Sounds good, but so sad the car was not there and no salesman to help test drive, a pointless visit again.

---- 3: Upset, I visit the first dealer on the way home to test drive there. I see a salesman and asked if the guy I talked to before was in, he's was not. So I ask this salesman if I could test drive the V6 Premium, he says no. Wait what!!?? He said he can't do it as it would take away the first salesman commission to help me with any car. I said I was not buying today, and not sure even if this dealership, but he just said no because it would hurt the other salesman. Seriously!!!!! What do you think he just did, I'm less likely to go back to this dealer if they can't get me a simple test drive when they have the means.

Anyway:

Is this the normal dealer experience? Felt like opposite day! No salesman around or when they are, unmotivated to actually make you interested in the car, don't offer a test drive, or refuse when you finally ask, argh!!!

The first dealer didn't even have brochures (forgot to check the second). Those extinct things? That's what the internet is for, they say. I actually would want a book to easily look at styles, features, and more, to discuss with others, not squint and stumble on an iPhone.

Hopefully Saturday will be a better day.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 AM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

My experience shopping used last year wasn't too different. I had cash in hand and they treated me like I was a waste of time/air.

Accidentally started some kind of huge battle between two sales guys when I mentioned at Dealership A that I was going to be checking out a car at Dealership B. Salesman at A called his cousin Salesman at B, who tried to sneak out to the parking lot to meet me before the guy I was supposed to meet knew I was there. Got busted and everyone freaked out. At another dealership an older salesman started *screaming* (literally) at the younger guy I'd been talking to behind a room divider- not even a full partition. They left me in the showroom by myself.

Things got a lot better when I started dealing only with the "Internet Sales Managers." Check out a car's specs online, make sure it's there, trade a couple of emails, get the financial questions out of the way, schedule an appointment. Car is set aside when you get there, washed, gassed up & ready to drive around with a person who's so tired of answering emails from 16 year old dreamers they don't even care if you want to buy the car, just happy to spend half an hour talking to a real person and driving around a little.

Thanks to the Internet, I ended up traveling 120 miles to a dealership/town I'd never heard of based on those emails and a followup phone call, ended up getting exactly the car I wanted, with lower miles and a Shaker 1000 system, for $2500 less than I'd budgeted. The salesguy was awesome and appreciative of my business, the haggling was friendly/easy, and the car is great.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ....good luck today!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome and goodluck!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Ya, they made ME WORK to buy my stang.
Unless I wanted to pay the sticker price
with CASH.

Your 1st salesman should have given you his
CELL PHONE # so you could contact him
during busisness hours when he is not
physically at the dealership.
If a sale can be worked on, he would come running.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Chucks95RT

Sounds like you got a saleman who didn't know the product. I have only purchased 2 vehicles from private sellers, the rest (12) have been Ford dealers.

First step when go to a Ford dealer...is do not talk to a saleman at all. Once you talk to them, you're stuck with them. Go in and ask for the new car sales manager. When you reach this elusive person, ask them "which one of your saleman knows the most about the 2012 Mustang". If that salesman doesn't meet your liking, go back to the manager and ask for another.

Saleman don't wanna step on each others sales...take it out of their hands.

it is not unusual that I know more about the car then they do...I'm looking at a specific car, year, option package...etc. They need to learn every Ford model...it's a bit overwhelming.

GL today, I hope it goes better for you. Be strong and don't settle for anything that isn't what you want.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
timothybh

Thanks for the stories and advice. Never knew how far tactics can go. It's been close to 10 years since my first new car, which I had done little to know homework, but was happy with what I got. I'm probably no good at dealers, as I don't like to make anyone upset or cause conflict. Doesn't mean I'm a pushover, but I'd probably accidentally walk too early without putting my foot down or aggressive enough.

I also started this thread about a demo at the first dealership.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-it-worth.html

I'm basically going to try to get quotes on a V6 Premium I'd interested in from two nearby dealers, and maybe how low they will go on that demo 2011 GT Premium with 5k miles and a bit of paint damage.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM
timothybh

Originally Posted by timothybh
Thanks for the stories and advice. Never knew how far tactics can go. It's been close to 10 years since my first new car, which I had done little to no homework, but was happy with what I got. I'm probably no good at dealers, as I don't like to make anyone upset or cause conflict. Doesn't mean I'm a pushover, but I'd probably walk too early without putting my foot down or aggressive enough.

I also started this thread about a demo at the first dealership.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-it-worth.html

I'm basically going to try to get quotes on a V6 Premium I'd be interested in from two nearby dealers, and maybe how low they will go on that demo 2011 GT Premium with 5k miles and a bit of paint damage.
Dang, I wish I could edit my posts, maybe there's no edit option because I'm a new user.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Excessv

Good luck///
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome and good luck

Quick Reply: Trying to buy a Mustang, REALLY, I am! ...