New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Forum Noob, Mustang GT Noob!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 AM
CincySteve

Default Forum Noob, Mustang GT Noob!!

Hello all. I just bought a 2008 GT Premium last Sunday. Its my first Mustang and I really like it (well...there's the gas mileage thing, but...pfffft). The car only had 9,000 miles on it and it looks, drives and smells brand new.

I am going through a divorce and this is kind of a gift to myself...a new bride, if you will.

Anyway, I am somewhat mechanically inclined as I operate a pair of car washes in the Cincinnati area but I've never really worked on cars before. I am interested in cheaply upgrading this car's performance over stock and am open to any and all ideas.

OK, enough already, here's the ride!

One other thing...can anyone comment on the rarity of this "vapor charcoal" color (or whatever its called)?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM
FYTYTY

Nice car man..I'm a newb too!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
CincySteve

Originally Posted by FYTYTY
Nice car man..I'm a newb too!
The car I traded in...was a Scion Xa...a teeny-tiny car that sipped gas.

The first thing I noticed about driving the Mustang when I test drove it was how much more "work" there was involved in operating the clutch and the gear shifter than in any other manual tranny car I have ever owned (which I think is pretty much all of them except my Crown Vic I used to have).

I am glad I don't deal with much bumper to bumper traffic on the interstates around the Cincinnati area!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the boards bud! Should try a Spec Stage 3 clutch, the stocker will seem like a dream after that. lol

Nice looking ride! I'm just up 71 myself in Columbus.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
CincySteve

So what's typically the first performance upgrade people get for their 'Stangs? I would guess exhaust, perhaps a different shifter.

One definite gripe with the car is the placement of the cup holders versus where your arm needs to be to shift gears...they can't both occupy the same space at once!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:00 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
CincySteve

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! Is there any way that I can view this board without the sides being all stretched out and having to scroll left to right? I thought at first it was because I posted pictures that were too big but I've noticed it in other threads as well.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CincySteve
So what's typically the first performance upgrade people get for their 'Stangs? I would guess exhaust, perhaps a different shifter.

One definite gripe with the car is the placement of the cup holders versus where your arm needs to be to shift gears...they can't both occupy the same space at once!
Performance wise, a solid cold air intake ( C@L, JLT, K@N brands ), a good tune with like an SCT X3 tuner, and axelbacks exhaust will make a BIG difference in the car! www.americanmuscle.com is gonna be your best friend. A good short throw makes it much more fun to drive as well.

And yes, the cup holders suck. lol Mine only holds my cell phone and garage pass downtown. Anything bigger then that and it's in my way.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
CincySteve

Originally Posted by Franchi
Performance wise, a solid cold air intake ( C@L, JLT, K@N brands ), a good tune with like an SCT X3 tuner, and axelbacks exhaust will make a BIG difference in the car! www.americanmuscle.com is gonna be your best friend. A good short throw makes it much more fun to drive as well.

And yes, the cup holders suck. lol Mine only holds my cell phone and garage pass downtown. Anything bigger then that and it's in my way.
Hey...thanks! I don't think I'm looking to do anything right off the bat as I blew my wad of cash buying the car...its bone stock right now (and sadly, burdened with 3:31 gearing, too) but it runs okay. I'm sure I could turn in sub 14 sec quarters once I pin down the feel of the clutch and get better timing with its release point. I've only had the thing a few days. The stock exhaust is pretty burbly...I love the way aftermarket exhaust sounds on cars like these from the OUTSIDE of the car but I can't help but wonder if anything too loud would get old after awhile.

Are there aftermarket exhausts made that have a selector switch for like a butterfly valve or something where you could run in "quiet mode" when you wanted to and "loud mode" when you wanted to? Don't the newer Corvettes have such a thing? I am pretty sure they do but that rather than being operated manually via a switch they instead are actuated by engine rpm's...
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
bigpoppa56
Banned

Wicked, wife drains your bank account fast but the stang will always look good. in 10-15 years your ex wife will have knee knockers for **** and you stang will still look great!

Quick Reply: Forum Noob, Mustang GT Noob!!