New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Brembo package

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM
BLACK BETTY12
1st Gear Member

Well I just learned something, Welcome
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
12stang

i have the brembo package and i assure you it is not just for looks lol. she stops pretty good.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 12stang
i have the brembo package and i assure you it is not just for looks lol. she stops pretty good.
Based upon what criteria? The formula for automobile stopping distance does not take into account the swept area of the brake pad, or even the amount of pressure on the brake caliper, only the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road surface, as well as the vehicle speed and weight. Or is Sir Issac Newton wrong?

Breaking technique, including ABS does more to stop a car than 4 or 6 pistons. Big brakes look good, but do not stop better, they may stop longer without fading, but not better. Cooling the brake pads and rotors will do more for decreasing the potential for brake fading than big brakes. Changing your rubber brake lines to stainless steel, and changing the pad compound increase braking efficiency since more pressure gets to the brake pad, and less is lost due to expansion of the brake line. Pads help by increasing the coefficient of friction between the pad and the rotor. Changing your brake fluid to a dot 5.1 increases the wet boiling temperature of the fluid, decreasing the probability of brake fade.

Here is a link that illustrates how to calculate braking power. These calculations have been used in court, so they stand the scrutiny of our legal system, not seat of the pants. The "I paid more for these brakes, so they must be better" calculation is not to be found in the equation.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html

Last edited by freyes; 01-16-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Out of Control

Default I have the Brembo Package

If you can't special order, your dealer can locate your car from anywhere in the region. They hire a semi-retired guy to go pick it up and it costs them about $100 depending on how far. I like the stopping power, but you can't find a decent set of wheels in anything less than a 20" that will clear the brake calipers.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 AM
12stang

Originally Posted by freyes
Based upon what criteria? The formula for automobile stopping distance does not take into account the swept area of the brake pad, or even the amount of pressure on the brake caliper, only the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road surface, as well as the vehicle speed and weight. Or is Sir Issac Newton wrong?

Breaking technique, including ABS does more to stop a car than 4 or 6 pistons. Big brakes look good, but do not stop better, they may stop longer without fading, but not better. Cooling the brake pads and rotors will do more for decreasing the potential for brake fading than big brakes. Changing your rubber brake lines to stainless steel, and changing the pad compound increase braking efficiency since more pressure gets to the brake pad, and less is lost due to expansion of the brake line. Pads help by increasing the coefficient of friction between the pad and the rotor. Changing your brake fluid to a dot 5.1 increases the wet boiling temperature of the fluid, decreasing the probability of brake fade.

Here is a link that illustrates how to calculate braking power. These calculations have been used in court, so they stand the scrutiny of our legal system, not seat of the pants. The "I paid more for these brakes, so they must be better" calculation is not to be found in the equation.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html
i push da pedal and car makes a stop therfore they wurk good. smartypants
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Out of Control

Default What can I do for wheels?

Since I have the Brembos, are there any wheels out there that will fit on the front wheels? The factory 255s aren't cutting it and would like something in an 18X9 front and 18X10 or 11 rear so I can put a 305 on the back.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Out of Control
Since I have the Brembos, are there any wheels out there that will fit on the front wheels? The factory 255s aren't cutting it and would like something in an 18X9 front and 18X10 or 11 rear so I can put a 305 on the back.
Most 18" wheels will not fit the brembo equipped mustangs. You will need to order a GT500 wheel or knock-off. 19 x 9.5 wheels with a .45 offset will fit. Vorshlag.com has 10" wheels that were specially made for the brembo mustangs that will fit. This is an 18 x 10" wheel. You can fit a 285/35ZR18 on the fronts, and if you're going for the staggered look, 305/40ZR18 in the back. 19" tires are very expensive and hard to get, so you may want to get the 18" tires.

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141_142_268

I like the twisties, so I'm getting the 285/35R18 Hankook Ventus R-S3 with Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 .45 offset. Make sure the wheels have a 5 lug x 114.3 bolt spacing. I have the Sumis staggered with bullitt wheels from Am Muscle. The Hankooks and enkei wheels will run $2300.00 +, but are great handling tires.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Out of Control

Default Thanks

Thank you so much, Freyes. I have been going nuts (and driving my wife nuts with my moping) about trying to find something that will fit. I did look at the GT 500 knockoffs, but they weighed a ton and Discount Tire ordered me 18X9.5s instead of what I asked for. I will check out the Vorslags. I'm planning on Nitto 555R Drag radials on the back. I have made a few mods and my car fishtails in 3rd gear so I have to get some control back before I hurt someone.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 AM
SnoSheriff

freyes, I'm no expert in in this area but I'm surprised that the vehicle weight has no impact on the braking distance. To eliminate any car comparison factors I will only talk consider the same car with additional weight... So, an empty car (with only 200lbs driver) will take the same distance to stop as fully loaded car (lets say 4x 200lbs guys plus 500lbs in the trunk, ummm dumbells )? I would have expected the heavier weight to take longer distance to stop.

Quick Reply: Brembo package