New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

What do I need to know, newb buying first mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
newbstang

Question What do I need to know, newb buying first mustang.

Okay guys/ girls I am looking into getting my first mustang I wanted to get a fox body and slowly build it up as a fun and fast car as I have a slow toyota pickup now.
There is one on my local craigslist that is for $500 its a 1982 gt manual.
Since I am new to mustangs sorta what should I check out or just things to check over when going to look at in these older stangs because I don't want to buy one of the worst years or anything like that. I am prepared to run into some things but I am very mechanically inclined.

Please any and all input would be great.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Your best bet is to post this same question in the tech section for that year. You will hear from the experts on that model. GL and welcome to MF.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Well being a manual it for sure should be a 5.0 GT. I know some of the auto's in 1982 had 4.2L motors in them. A true 1982 GT should have rear spoiler, hood scoop, fog lamps on the front. Also the 1982 GT's only came in Red, Black and Silver. I would get the vin and have Ford run it for you. Ford will tell you if the car is a GT and what factory motor etc. it had/has.

I personally wouldn't start with a $500 1982 GT if it was my first mustang and I knew nothing about mustangs. I would recommend a 1986-1995(spend more than $500) 5.0 if you're looking for a used/cheap 5.0. Its your choice get what YOU want etc. but just trying to toss some feedback around.

Edit* When you buy cars like mustangs they normally have been hot rod'd to hell in back... if you're paying $500 for a GT then its gonna be used, abused, and in poor shape. I would expect to completely restore the entire car, other wise you will be nickle and dime for parts until you're tired and sale the car. Its best to buy a good one, go the extra mile and spend a little more cash on one in decent shape.

Also its better to buy a stock GT over a modified one. When you buy something someone has tampered with and done a bunch of stuff to you can run into problems. I learned this the hard way... unless its been blue printed and professionally done I would stay away from one with a bunch of mods.

Last edited by BaltRavens; 04-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

I dunno how much you have to spend, but you stop and think. Take a look at the stang in the link, while its no where near your home state it serves as a example. It can be fun restoring mustangs but its alot of work and alot of time and money. I dunno if you're a older man looking to get into restoring a 1982 GT or a young guy just wanting a fun kick around car?

I would recommend looking and waiting for something like in the link to pop up around you. It will happen, trust me. You shouldn't jump on the first thing that comes along unless you're prepared like you said for problems, but sometimes those problems can come in number and at high cost to your wallet. I look at the mileage, while that doesn't mean the car is perfect, nor does it mean its NOT be abused. It to me means its not been rode to hell and back twice... this white one if all checks out be a solid car and last someone years and years, plus its pretty sweet looking. Anymore I have learned my lesson... I bought 3 and only 1 was worth a damn, other two was ragged out and I lost tons of money on them. Now I save, watch and buy smart.

Welcome and GL!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...09048008&Log=0
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ...any luck???!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
mike619

Make sure you get an 05 or up, the body is really nice
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!
Check out the 5.0 section
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Constance83

Your best bet is to post this same question in the tech section for that year.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
newbstang

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2936980523.html
This is the add for the mustang and I am a 17 year old looking for a fun car to mess around with and I work in an auto shop everyday at school and am close friends with drag race teams I have rebuilt my truck from the ground up and loved it I don't mind getting my hands dirty at all. I have plans to build one up to whoop up on the ricers of spokane.
I E-mailed the guy and am awaiting a response hoping to hear from him soon.

Quick Reply: What do I need to know, newb buying first mustang.