New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Brand new 2013 GT owner, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Durzo

Default Brand new 2013 GT owner, what now?

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to jump in and say hello, and look for advice. I recently bought a new 2013 Mustang GT Premium and this is my first Mustang. I was wondering, besides driving around and learning my car, what else should a new owner be doing? I'm trying to be proactive and joining these forums, buying Mustang mags to read up about their history and to better treat them and basic mechanics.

I'm wondering if there is anything else you could advise me to do. I want to treat my car like my baby, and I'd like to learn more about her.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to the site.

Follow the break in procedure in the manual and enjoy.

The day I brought mine home I used a clay bar on it, then waxed it. You wouldn't think that the clay bar would be necessary on a brand new car, but they can pick up a lot of junk duriing shipping and sitting on a lot waiting for you to give it a new home.

Last edited by DK Pony; 09-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM
scott302
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to MF. 1st thing you need to do is get a JLT Oil separator.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
rangerfx405
2nd Gear Member

Welcome
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Ivan The Terrible

Default Please Elaborate

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Congrats and welcome to MF. 1st thing you need to do is get a JLT Oil separator.
Can you please elaborate on what that is? I'm assuming it's similar to an oil catch can...is that correct. Also, will installing it void your warranty?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome..
Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Grampa

Originally Posted by Durzo
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if there is anything else you could advise me to do. I want to treat my car like my baby, and I'd like to learn more about her.

Thanks in advanced.
I thought the first thing everyone had to do was post a pic here?! (Congrats, and cool!)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
IcanDrive55
1st Gear Member

Default subscribing to this thread

Rather than starting another just subscribing to this thread as I'm in the same boat.

Although I'm not completely crazy when it comes to detailing I did take the clay bar to it, then polished then waxed. After reading a million posts I did just order the JLT Oil separator. I baby my cars, it'll rarely go over the speed limit and sure as #$%# will never be on a track (although I do have open access to the Atlanta Motor Speedway...hhhmmm), so it's probably negligible on whether the JLT is really necessary but what the heck, it's only money.

I haven't changed my own oil in about 2 decades just because of the convenience of having it done and warranty issues. The fact is, it wont take me much longer to crawl under there and do it myself than it does to drive to the dealership and obviously changing it yourself, as long as you can document it, doesn't affect the warranty. I'm just tired of going to dealers and not knowing if it's done right. So to insure I don't change my mind I went to advance auto today and bought the ramps, oil filter wrench, drain bucket and recycle container along with royal purple 5w-20 oil ($10 mail-in rebate form on 5 quarts hanging by oil display) and a motorcraft filter. I only have 200 miles on the car so I'll be poking around the forums to see when people recommend the 'full synthetic' switch.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to change out all the fluids but I'd have to do a bit of research on how to go about that. My 82 Cavalier may have been a little different lol

Quick Reply: Brand new 2013 GT owner, what now?