New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Body Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Everybody

Default Body Care

Hi,
just got my first Mustang GT 2006 a few weeks back and found this great forum (need to do some interior repairs and found great input here!).

I never cared much about the waxing etc of my previous cars, but something changed here ... not sure why ... so my question is, how do you take care of your car (also any special winter/summer care?), to keep the colour nice and shiny for as long as possible. By the way my Mustang is yellow ... maybe that is the reason

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Hey bud! Congrats on your first Mustang!

There's a Detailing section further down the list, be sure to check there...

I would say that so long as you use something consistently, you'll be fine. Regular usage of 'regular' wax is 100 times better than doing nothing, of course. A few years back I moved from wax to synthetic protectants. Look up Zaino and Klasse, they're two of the more popular brands I'd say, and you'll find plenty of info on both. I use Klasse and have been very happy with it. There are two types, All-in-one and sealant. Their all in one is an acrylic cleaner type polish. It will remove wax/polishes and leave an acrylic layer. Since it's a cleaner polish, you can only apply one coating of it, as it will remove previous layers of itself as well. Then I add the sealant on top of it. It's a synthetic polymer whatever, and it is stackable, so you can apply multiple coatings of it on top of the all-in-one base. I have been very happy with this combination. Since I am not a chemist or physicist, I don't really know what's best, so I use the layman's logic that more is better. I like having the acrylic layer and then the polymer layer. I apply this once or twice a year (they say it's good for a year or more), and I use Mother's or Meguiar's quick detailer spray often in between for removing dust and restoring the full shine. I do this often enough that I rarely have to actually wash the car to keep it clean and looking great...

Some people think that organic/carnuba wax has a 'warmer' shine than synthetic, I don't necessarily see a difference. And some people also apply a layer of wax on top of the syntethics, both for that warmer shine and for yet another layer of protection. I've been considering doing this as well but have yet to do so...

I live in a pretty moderate area, we see very little snow or extremely cold weather here, so I don't really have to do different seasonal care...

Last edited by Schmalgar; 12-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome...as Schmalgar suggested, check out the detailing section and you'll find more than enough info on taking care of your ride!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

+1 on the detailing section. Welcome to MF.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

welcome to the site...let's see the car.post pics
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
samolet
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
rangerfx405
2nd Gear Member

Welcome
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Everybody

Default thank you

Thank you all for the great welcome, I feel at home
And Schmalgar thank you so much for your great description. Just need to read up a little more on the different layers.

Sorry for the beginners question, but what do you mean with "Detailing section". I see nothing called like that. Or is that a "press any button" expression?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! Since your car is six years old, it might need some polishing to remove years of accumulated scratches to make the paint truly shine. That said, since buffing removes some paint and risks over-buffing, avoiding the procedure is preferable. If wax can get the shine you like, don't go farther. The detailing section will have How-To instructions.

Detailing:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/detailing-46/
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by Everybody
Hi,
just got my first Mustang GT 2006 a few weeks back and found this great forum (need to do some interior repairs and found great input here!).

I never cared much about the waxing etc of my previous cars, but something changed here ... not sure why ... so my question is, how do you take care of your car (also any special winter/summer care?), to keep the colour nice and shiny for as long as possible. By the way my Mustang is yellow ... maybe that is the reason

Thanks!
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. First step is to wash and clay bar the car. I learned tons from autogeek.net.

Quick Reply: Body Care