New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member from Coast of NC

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Rob_Robinson87

Default New member from Coast of NC

Hello everyone!
Just dropping an official hello since I just joined. Just for a little history.

I grew up and live on the coast of NC. My dad and I used to fix up 65-66 Mustangs while I was a child. He had a couple of coupes and always had a convertible in the garage for that weekend cruise and show. We never had to do a complete restoration- normally finding a car with nice paint and fixing up the interior and detailing them out for the local shows. I remember installing my first dashpad at the age of 12 when the box arrived by UPS before my dad got home. BOY WAS HE SURPRISED!!
In 1985, At the age of 16, I wanted something different so we found a little 1968 Barracuda fastback that a local eyedoctor had bought new for his wife, convinced them to sell it, and now at the age of 43, I still have it and drive it when I can. So, what does that have to do about Mustangs???
Well, my daughter was bit by the old car bug, so last year, at the age of 14, we stumbled across a well worn 1966 Mustang coupe that she fell in love with. The car is quite rough needing a new paint job and interior, but the floorpans are perfect and has a sweet running 302 automatic in it. I even got a little of the bug and now drive a 2006 Mustang GT as my daily driver.
Since it has been a "few" years since I have tinkered with early Mustangs, I will have a few questions. My daughter has picked out her color combination that she wants and I have pretty much stripped the car down to a rolling chassis. The car has a really old and flaking black paint job thrown over the original white, so stripping the car is the first thing on the list. I will post my questions in the appropriate forums and look forward to your expertise.
As for the GT, it has 88,000 miles and is extremely clean, however I have discoved a few little bugs that I will address also. Nothing like having two ponies and a fish to mess around with.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos. I need to clean up my car and get a picture of that at some point.
Rob Robinson

Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Welcome aboard Rob! Beautiful looking cuda, nice looking GT and you have a beautiful daughter. I wish my daughter is into cars too, she just likes the 05 Jeep GC I gave her because it's free.

I have a friend that moved their in NC, also I'm considering going that way too when I retire.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Awesome! Don't forget to check out the Carolina chapter for upcoming events. Welcome.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF, sounds like some fun times and memories to be had with your daughter.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Rob_Robinson87

This photo is not mine but is identical to my 2006 GT. I posted it as a link because I think the photo is too large just to insert in the string.

2006 Vista Blue GT

As for my daugther's car, here is the goal. Go back to the original white with turquoise stripes and aqua/white pony interior. This will be a customized build, but will keep most of the best '66 items offered such as the GT dual exhaust and fog lights, removing the cove trim, adding the Shelby stripes, woodgrain dash and steering wheel. Customized items will be Classic Auto Air heat/AC, stereo (one that fits the opening such as the Resto ones), shoulder harnesses front and rear, interior color change of course, and wheel choice. Here are some photos we based our goal off of. This one was being sold on E-bay a couple of years ago.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Beautiful. Welcome to MF it's great to have you. +1 on the Carolina Regional Chapter. Be great to have you with us there too and maybe get a chance link up at a GTG.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
samolet
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome Rob
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
no_mad11

Welcome to MF & congrats on the GT & your daughters 66 mustang. I think that working on restoring & customizing the mustang, will turn out to be a great bonding experience with your daughter. I like the plans you guys have laid out for the restoration, I think it will turn out awesome when it's done.

Quick Reply: New member from Coast of NC