New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
BA11GTCS

Default New Member needs help

Hi guys I've been lurking since September, but this is my first post. I purchased a certified pre-owned 2011 GT/CS August 25 2012. The car had 16,000 miles on it then. It now has 20,000. I have had it in three times for a check engine light. Twice I have been told there was a tune on it (installed by previous owner, that somehow was missed in the "certifying" process). Both times it was supposed to have been reset to factory specs. In between those trips I was told it was the purge sensor and that was replaced. Tomorrow morning I will be taking it in for the fourth time, because the light came back on coming home from work. I still have 7 months and 16,000 miles on the original warranty, plus the 7 year 84,000 extended warranty I bought for my certified POS. HELP?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Are there any aftermarket parts you know of? Some aftermarket parts require a tune in order to not throw a check engine light.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Does it still run strong and just have a check engine light, or is there something going on like surging, sounds, anything that seems wrong?

What airbox is in it? Stock or is there a CAI? You really might need to look for any mods it had on it that the dealer did not catch that might still be making the check engine light come on. A lot of guys take back their trades and put the old parts back on, so the tune may have been an issue.. maybe they got gears put in it? Could be a number of things, maybe suggest they try a different computer in case it is hosed up somehow that they cannot change?

The good thing is you have the warranty, and they certified it.. so it is on their dime until they make it right. Does your state have a lemon law?

I can't imagine a 2011 with 16K having any real big problems. Good luck
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome

As posted above, check to see if there are any aftermarket parts on the car...if the original owner put something on with a tune and the dealer reflashed the computer your check engine light will continue to come on, because the aftermarket tune is no longer there....if that's not the case, maybe talk to someone about the issues you've been having to find out how long this is going to continue before something is done rectify the situation.

good luck
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM
BA11GTCS

Only aftermarket part I know of is the exhaust, which was on it when I bought it. I spoke with the service manager and he said it was misfiring on 6 out of 8 cylinders because the fuel was running 12 psi lower than it should be. He said they are replacing the fuel pump and that should take care of it. I am not convinced, and I am worried about what damage has been done to the engine. Do lemon laws apply to CPO vehicles?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Does it happen to have an aftermarket CAI that will need a tune, Also if it happens to have long tube headers on it will need a tune. Also if it does not have the stock gears it will need to have a tune.

I would take it into someplace that knows Mustangs not the dealership take it to a performance shop and have them look it over for any parts like this. You are going to need to know what parts are throwing that error and I would look at getting a Bama tune for. That is if it has all any parts that need a tune then Bama can tune for those parts and that should take care of the problems. I am pretty sure the cars not a POS it just has some higher end aftermarket parts the dealership has no idea about.

Chances are the performance shop could tune it also once they know what parts it has.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
BA11GTCS

The Bama tune is what was supposedly removed two of times it has been in for service. The car is completely covered under warranty, I don't want to pay to take it to a different shop. Also, I don't want a car that somebody else modified. Not when I paid a premium for CPO. If having a tune on the car voids the warranty, how can you sell a warranty on a car that has a tune?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it just needed it's tune adjusted by Bama if it was not working right before something was just not synced.

If it has parts that require a tune one of two things need to happen. It must be tuned to get rid of the warning because running those parts without a tune may cause harm to the engine.

The second option would be to strip all the mods off and put all the factory parts back on it. Not having the factory parts is going to make that a tad tricky. Unless you can talk Ford into putting them all back on it.

I would look at taking it to another dealership by the sounds of what you have said they don't know their own factory parts from a hole in the ground.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM
BA11GTCS

I am not having it serviced by the dealership that certified/sold it. Obviously they don't know what they are doing. I do trust the one servicing it now. We buy and service many of our company vehicles at this dealer.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

You may want to give Bama a call and have them check the cars vin. If it did have a Bama tune they should have a record of what mods are on the car. Could help speed things along.

Quick Reply: New Member needs help