New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy from Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Toews92

Default New guy from Chicago area

Hey everyone.

I'm 21 and have never bought my first car yet.

thinking about buying a Stang as my first car. I am interested in the 2011 V6. The thing is I'm not mechanically savvy at all and I'm certain a Mustang will require more attention than say a Corolla. All I really know how to do is change an oil filter, add washer fluid and rotate tires given the right hardware.

Another thing is that I've never driven a stick shift before. I know how it works on paper and have rode motorcycles before (using the clutch and understand the friction zone, etc). I don't want to make a fool out of myself at the dealer while I am getting the hang of it. I really don't have any buddies who I could use their car to learn on so I might be stuck here.

Aside from general maintenance, I have a few other concerns:

1. I live in Chicago and I don't know if this would make a great winter car even with proper tires.

2. I don't know how hard insurance costs will hit me.

3. Again, I live in Chicago and gas prices are more expensive here on average compared to the rest of the country, but the 2011 reportedly gets pretty good gas millage so yea

What do you guys think?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

I have an 06 v6. Lets talk mechanically, it should'nt need any more work than any other car as long as its kept up right, unless you want to start modding it.

As for winter cars, I live in Massachusetts and I drive my stang all winter with four studded snow tire on it and it does amazing. (I only slid once but thats because I was an idiot and floored it haha.)

As for the not knowing how to drive stick part, give it a go I bought mine never having driven stick before and now I love it. I just say go for it and you won't regret it.
Just my $0.02.
Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Toews92

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
I have an 06 v6. Lets talk mechanically, it should'nt need any more work than any other car as long as its kept up right, unless you want to start modding it.

As for winter cars, I live in Massachusetts and I drive my stang all winter with four studded snow tire on it and it does amazing. (I only slid once but thats because I was an idiot and floored it haha.)

As for the not knowing how to drive stick part, give it a go I bought mine never having driven stick before and now I love it. I just say go for it and you won't regret it.
Just my $0.02.
Welcome to the forums.
did you have anyone with you when you bought it? I could just imagine myself going to a dealer for a test drive and I'm sure the representative would just presume I know how to drive stick without having to ask. But I'll most likely stall it at least once before I even exit their lot. I am going to embarrass myself and he might kick me out or something.

Like I said, I've ridden motorcycles briefly in the past. I understand how a clutch works on paper and I have felt the friction zone before. It's all muscle memory, and I have never done it in a car before..same idea but a little different.

Hopefully my dad still has the hang of it. If I could just get it into an empty parking lot and spend an afternoon practicing, I'm sure I could get the hang of it very quickly.

Anyway.. I'm not sure if I still want to go with a Mustang now. I lust for it. I think I can afford it. But one thing that shies me away is the fact that I don't have a garage to store it in. This isn't a big deal in the summer, but in the winter will probably be a pain
Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Welcome to MF! Looks like you have gotten some pretty good advice here already. Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toews92
did you have anyone with you when you bought it? I could just imagine myself going to a dealer for a test drive and I'm sure the representative would just presume I know how to drive stick without having to ask. But I'll most likely stall it at least once before I even exit their lot. I am going to embarrass myself and he might kick me out or something.

Like I said, I've ridden motorcycles briefly in the past. I understand how a clutch works on paper and I have felt the friction zone before. It's all muscle memory, and I have never done it in a car before..same idea but a little different.

Hopefully my dad still has the hang of it. If I could just get it into an empty parking lot and spend an afternoon practicing, I'm sure I could get the hang of it very quickly.

Anyway.. I'm not sure if I still want to go with a Mustang now. I lust for it. I think I can afford it. But one thing that shies me away is the fact that I don't have a garage to store it in. This isn't a big deal in the summer, but in the winter will probably be a pain
When I went to test drive mine, my father went with me and he drove it off the lot, then went to an empty parking lot and made me drive. I was nervous then, but now I'm absolutely in love with it.

And as for the winter..... just drive it . I bought mine in december and put snow tires on and I was fine. It's a car (a nice one at that), but it's meant to be driven, and it WANTS to be driven.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

a mustang or corolla ? you are kidding right ? no comparison there..and what exactly is wrong with an automatic mustang ?

Quick Reply: New guy from Chicago area